Parking Brake Adjustment

When putting on the parking (emergency) brake how many clicks constitutes a properly adjusted brake? My dealer indicates I'm OK with 11---I think that
it's too much. Comments appreciated. MLD

A long-time issue of mine, too.
Maybe it's just as well, about twice per car, I'll try to drive off with the brake on. Newer Accords beep at you when you do that!
But a tighter brake would keep the car in place wouldn't it?
J.
MLD wrote:

brake handle travel. Your brake pedal will feel better after the adjustment too. bob

This is after the brakes has been replaced-- MLD

While this advice is sound and good for a vehicle with drum brakes in the rear, it doesn't help people with disc brakes at all four corners of their vehicle. {;^)

What kind of car is this?
I assume a Honda, but what model and year?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Forgot to mention---2000 Accord V6 MLD

MLD wrote:

Exploded view diagrams are at www.slhondaparts.com You can likely notch it up yourself, and I'd go for about 6 clicks. I like the handle to come up a bit. Have you tried yanking the brake lever up and down (sharply) while backing up repeatedly? It will sometimes help if the auto-adjusters aren't working smoothly.

Usually it's six to ten clicks to set the parking brake.
Do you have drums or discs on the rear?
If the shoes/calipers are properly adjusted, then you need to take up the slack on the cable. do NOT adjust the cable until you are 100% certain the brake portion is properly set up!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
MLD wrote:

raise the handle to the first click, then adjust the cable so the brakes /just/ start to drag. from then on, the brake should be full on in the next 6 to 9 clicks. accord is likely the same or similar.