parking with engine facing driveway

Hello, I've got an accord lx (2001) with automatic transmission. Usually, the car is parked outside the garage on the sloped driveway with engine facing garage.

But I changed how I park so that the car's engine is facing the driveway.

The driveway to the garage is elevated.

Is it ok to park this way and it doesn't strain the transmission nor brakes, right?

Thanks !!

Reply to
ap

Hi, No, you can't. Park the car across the driveway one day engine facing starboard, one day port side. That's the way it should be on inclined drive way. Believe me by doing that my car lasted million miles, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you properly use your parking brake it will have no effect on the transmission which way you park.

Reply to
Seth

"Seth" wrote in news:M_lYi.482$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.lga:

either direction,the parking pawl will have the same stress on it.

brakes get a LOT more stress during driving than during parking.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Incorrect. If the parking brake is applied before the transmission is placed in park, there is no pressure applied to the parking pawl.

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:eCsYi.7367$8S5.5574@edtnps82:

If the parking brake is applied before the tranny is Parked, the pawl may never even drop into its notch.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99E1D038AB6D1tegger@207.14.116.130:

Still -equal- pressure in either parking direction! B-)

but when you release the brake,the pawl will drop in and receive pressure. (unless you have your foot on the brake.)

Or if the parking brake slips(or is frozen). (could happen on steep slopes;that's why you're supposed to turn the front wheels so the car rolls into the curb.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99E1D61DC80DDjyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85:

All absolutely true, of course.

But the parking pawl of the modern automatic transmission is fairly robust in the sense that it does not care which way any stress happens to come at it. As well, even heavy stress will simply cause the tires to skid upon the pavement well before the pawl breaks.

Remember the old "transmission brake"? That drum brake that was installed at the rear of automatics up to about 1963? That was the original "parking brake". It did not hold the wheels, just the driveshaft. This meant that with your usual open diff, the right rear wheel was all that held the car still when it was parked out-of-gear. Very much like a parking pawl.

The upshot of all this verbiage is that the OP can park his car any which way from Sunday and it will be just fine. And he can apply the parking brake anytime he chooses to. So long as he actually does so, that is...

Reply to
Tegger

What happens if you hang your car like from a meat hook? That way, you can increase a driveway's capacity by around 300%!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

How do you figure that? If you place the transmission in neutral, then apply the parking brake, then place the transmission in park, there's no issue. It is the same as using the service brakes, then placing the transmission in park and releasing the service brake, except for the fact that the parking brake is already applied. Doing it in this manner removes the strain (due to the weight of the vehicle) on the parking pawl.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Grumpy, Talking about hangimg your car from a meat hook.....I remember some car company actually built a car to be shipped that way to save space in transit. Hanging from the front end, with the oil pan designed to hold oil in that position. I think it might have been the Chevy Vega, I could very well be mistaken, or maybe I heard the story wrong!

Reply to
Bumpy

.....I remember some

----------------------------

If the Japanese had designed the Vega, I expect they would have hung the designer from a meathook.

However you park your car, just be sure the motor isn't pointed toward the sky. (upside down).

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

That could only be accomplished by a woman driver, right?

JT

(Running 'n ducking!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:G7wYi.65966$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Ever seen the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?

Reply to
Tegger

No, but they must be...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:IW1Zi.9657 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

It's a funny movie. Made in Botswana around 1980 and badly edited, but very good in a quirky sort of way.

There's one scene where a Land Rover accidentally gets winched up a tree, which is what made me think of the movie when you made the "meat hook" comment.

Reply to
Tegger

Speaking of Land Rovers, when I worked on Diego Garcia, the Brits managed to wreck theirs by rollin' 'em over one by one...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire