PCV valve question

hello,
2002 honda accord SE 4Cyl about 110K on car.
My mechanic says PCV valve is jammed and needs to be changed. I changed the value 7-8 months ago (about 10K kms). What could cause the valve to jam so
fast. The car does idle rough. I just change my spark plugs. Is there anything else I should be checking
Thanks in advance for advice
If you used an aftermarket valve it was probably pretty bad when you got it. If it was a Honda PCV valve, that would be unusual.
Mike

"Jammed" or plugged with sludge?
If it's "jammed" it's an aftermarket piece of crap. Replace with OEM.
If it's plugged with sludge, then the car has been the victim of very bad maintenance and you have other, more serious problems than a plugged PCV valve.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I had replace it with an OEM valve bought from a honda dealership. The car has been always serviced at a honda dealership as I had 7 years 130K extended honda warranty. The warranty ran out Nov 2008 and then I started going to a local guy for oil changes and used synthetic oil (5w20).
When you say serious problems what could that be?
markov

Oil in the throttle body, mostly. That's often (but not always) symptomatic of deep trouble in the engine.
How does your guy know the valve was "jammed" in the first place? Did your guy find oil in the throttle body?
Even if the valve was "jammed", this in itself would have had little material effect on the engine's behavior, since vapors would just enter the intake through the open breather pipe (the other side of the PCV system).
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Then what would be the reason for rough idle? I have replace the spark plugs.

There are a hundred possible reasons for rough idle. This can ONLY be properly diagnosed with hands-on investigation that covers everything from cylinder compression to engine mount integrity to consistency of spark to cleanliness of the intake system, to who knows what.
I gave up long ago trying to give remote help to people with rough idle problems because in the end I was usually wrong.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

That would depend on whether it is jammed closed or jammed open. If open, it is a pretty big vacuum leak.
Mike

For which the ECU/ECM/PCM completely compensates.
Air leaks into a feedback system are not the problem they were in non- feedback systems until they exceed the system's ability to adjust.
You'll notice that if you perform the approved diagnostic on the PCV valve (pinching its hose shut), the idle will drop, then _recover_.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re the PCV valve--

We have had this discussion before and I am happy to continue to agree to disagree. I would just note that many authoritative sites say that fuel mileage may worsen with a malfunctioning PCV valve. The interested reader should google.