PCV Valve Question - '95 Civic EX

I got an oil & filter change today, along with the air filter, and since I have a new (non-OEM) PCV valve on hand, I decided to check the existing one. It *looks* pretty new, but I'm not sure it always clicks
when I squeeze the breather hose. The engine makes enough noise to make me uncertain. The idle does drop every time I squeeze that hose, though. Any idea if this proves the valve is ok or not?
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

what mileage?
if in doubt, replace. but not with anything other than oem for pcv valves - the after-market stuff can be abysmal.
jim beam wrote:

141k miles. This one was *probably* installed at 94k miles, although it looks newer than that. So what's worse, a sticky OEM valve (if this is - it's blue) or a properly functioning aftermarket cheapo valve? Can I test the new valve before installing it? I can get OEM, but not right away.
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

in my experience, aftermarket on things like this often don't work well even when new. i'd stick with the old one in preference.
jim beam wrote:

You can try cleaning the old one out with some carb clean.
Eric