performance tires for an 03 accord ex 4cyl

I need new tires for my accord. I'd like to try and get a higher performance (i.e. larger) tire than the 205/60/16's that the manual calls for.
My question is: What kind of issues am I going to run into if I want
to put....say....a 225/50/17 or 18 or similar tire on the car. Can it be done? Should it be done?
Kind regards, Kip
check out www.tirerack.com for plus sizing wheels and tires.

DaToteman wrote:

A very cool applet to play with is:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
- look to get around (NPI) the same rolling circumference as your OEM tires.