Pilot transmission dead after 105K

the dealership says the transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt on my 2003 Pilot. theres 105,000 miles on the car- does it seem out of line that the tranny should die at that age? i know thats a lot of
miles to put on a car in three years but it seems premature to me. would like some feedback on if this- what do you think? car was serviced regularly at the dealership [Miller in southern Ca.) and has given me no trouble otherwise. thanks for you thoughts, Greg
gregro wrote:

Honda has had A LOT of problems with their automatic transmissions in recent years.
Also, Honda's recommended service intervals for transmission fluid are IMO far too long between fluid changes, especially since the transmission does not include a changeable filter.
The automatic transmission is a major weak spot in modern Hondas. Your experience is typical, though not acceptable.
John

Given the problems that Honda has had with 98-04 transmissions, I would severely question Honda about this.
Did you get the recall performed? What was the condition of your transmission when they did the recall? Did they replace the transmission, or simply install the oil jet kit?
I wouldn't let Honda off the hook here. If you have a good dealership, they'll go to bat with you. You'll probably get Honda to buy the transmission and you buy the labor. It's a fair deal; if you get to that, take it.
damn man you drove that car like 300 miles a day what the hell.

I had an auto in a Maxima go bad at 37k miles .. so 105k may be reasonable. On the other hand older Accord 4s seem to go on forever. I should imagine the replacement cost will around 5k or so.

"" wrote:
> > > the dealership says the transmission needs to be > replaced/rebuilt on > > my 2003 Pilot. there's 105,000 miles on the car- does it > seem out of > > line that the tranny should die at that age? i know that's a > lot of > > miles to put on a car in three years but it seems premature > to me. > > would like some feedback on if this- what do you think? > > car was serviced regularly at the dealership [Miller in > southern Ca.) > > and has given me no trouble otherwise. > > thanks for you thoughts, > > Greg > > I had an auto in a Maxima go bad at 37k miles .. so 105k may > be reasonable. > On the other hand older Accord 4s seem to go on forever. I > should imagine > the replacement cost will around 5k or so. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-Pilot-transmission-dead-105K-ftopict126973.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa9003
it was going to cost $400 to open it up and find out if they could get away with replacing the pump and clutch plates [$2200] or if they needed to rebuild the whole thing it was gonna be around $4000. since i planned on keeping the car only another year or so i decided to get a new one instead. thanks everyone for your comments- Greg

about 60k miles.
"" wrote:
> [...]
glad it helped somebody :lol: on the bright side- wow, the 05 is nice! Greg