Ping Curly

Curly,
In an earlier thread about my wife's transmission you said I should get a crush washer with the Honda Z1 ATF. What is a crush washer and why
do I need it?
Unrelated question: Why do service stations charge so much for transmission fluid change when it is no different than an oil change? And speaking of cost there is a Honda and Acura dealer near me, both part of the same auto group. I have a gift card for Acura so will use it for the ATF, but it is actually $2/qt MORE at the Acura dealer. Again, same owner of both dealerships!
Eddie
Eddie G wrote:

---------------------------------------
The tranny crush washer is just like the rubber washer in your garden hose, but made of copper or aluminum. It makes the plug seal tight.
If you're buying about 12 litres (quarts) of Honda Z1, ask for a discount based on volume from whoever is cheapest, and do the changes yourself (a week apart is good).
'Curly'

The service station I go to will do the flush and fill at no charge since it was their ATF that messed the car up. But my question was just a general question about the high cost of this type of service.
Eddie

In most cars it is VERY different from an oil change.
When you change the engine oil, you yank a plug and it all runs out. When you yank the plug on a tranny, only about half of the fluid (or less) comes out. To get it ALL without mixing it with new fluid, a special machine is needed. The procedure takes much longer.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ