Ping: Elle, Tegger, Michael Pardee

As you three are the people I respect the most in this and other auto news groups; I'd thought I'd let you all know about my career change. As of 10 April I resigned my position at the local Firestone shop and was hires by the local auto conglomerate in our area; A Subaru and Suzuki dealership ( although they do have Honda's Chevies, Toyota's Ford, Lexus, and a few others in this town also) I learned allot from Firestone; and will always buy my tires there from what I have seen in 4.5 years of service; but as a corporation they think that a auto tech is a slave; working 10 hours a day without a lunch and 50 hours a week for 40 hours of pay. As one Manager told me "the 40 hour labor law isn't written about the auto techs (Flat-rate)" Anyway; I'm a used car tech now; looking at the used cars to decide if and what needs to be repaired for resale. He wants me to go to Suzuki school and specialize on them, but from what I've seen I'm a little wary of them; Can you say Daewoo? It's nice to see how a dealership operates; and watching a tech assemble and install a Subaru long block in about 3 hours is amazing. the people are great; the hours respectable; and I get a lunch. I look forward to sharing what I learn; and learning more from you three.

Reply to
Stephen H

Given Suzuki's performance in motorcycles, I should think the potential is there in their cars. Of course, I am drawing a parallel with Honda here which may not necessarily follow in the case of Suzuki.

Reply to
tww

"Stephen H" wrote

How awful. And I'm not saying that just to be female-nice. Working through lunch is baloney and is the path to an early heart attack, short-tempered personality (not you, though!), or similar. Working 50 for 40 hours pay would be a sore point always.

Sounds like definite fun to me but with far less physical, and hard(!) labor, than at Firestone, I hope!

If you do it, I hope you'll post assessments of Suzuki's and Subaru's product. I have known an awful lot of people that are extremely loyal Subaru customers, and they seem to do very well in Consumer Reports reliability surveys. Love that all-wheel-drive.

Thank you for the kind words. I trust it's obvious that Tegger and Michael (along with several other regulars here, who are also far less of the rabble rousing type compared to me!) are far far more experienced, and I bow to them (with others).

Reply to
Elle

From what is said around the shop; GM bought the Suzuki and has put it on Daewoo's; trying to capitalize off the Suzuki name.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen H

Most all the techs and management have Subaru's; both old and new; that says alot to me.

Reply to
Stephen H

"Stephen H" wrote E

Indeed! From what I've seen, Subaru buyers are much more intelligent (and so kinder) people than the run-of-the-mill automobile owners. They /like/ their Subarus; enjoy talking about them; enjoy seeing to their maintenance.

I think it's great to have someone "on the inside" posting here; really constructively helps the diversity of the newsgroup. I hope you continue to find some time to do so. Good luck with the new job.

Reply to
Elle

on the door panel of a Suzuki sedan I read today something along the lines of "owned by gm, made by Daewoo"

Two cars in the shop today with 10,000 and possible head issues.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen H