Pinging, pinking, knocking...?

Hi, my 1.6L 4-cylinder Civic often makes a "clicking" noise, especially when under load in too high a gear. Sometimes even at the "correct" gear, when accelerating.

Is this pinging, pinking, tappet noise, detonation, spark knock, etc? I've searched the posts, but I'm now more confused. Some people say "pinging" is the same as tappet noise, which is harmless, while some say pinging = detonation, which is bad.

So which is it, really, and what could be causing it on my engine?

Thanks!

Reply to
sharx333

"Pinging" is different from tappet noise. "Pinking" is the British variant. Detonation is potentially bad. I have seen it break connecting rods. Spark knock is another name for it. Which model year is your Civic?

Potential causes are maladjusted ignition timing, too low octane fuel, and carbon deposits in the combustion chambers.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's a 1995 model. I check/adjust the timing every week or so, no problems there. Have noticed the 'pinging' even with premium fuel.

Given that it's noisiest when under load and the gear is too high, is it more likely to be tappet noise, pinging or knock? How can I tell?

Earle Hort> "Pinging" is different from tappet noise. "Pinking" is the British variant.

Reply to
emil.santos

One hears tappet noise at idle. This is most likely pinging. Why would you check/adjust the timing every week? Are you sure that you are doing it properly? If you retard the timing a few degrees, then take it for a test drive, and the noise is gone, then you would be pretty sure that it is pinging.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
ah1244

ah1244: Yes, most passengers don't hear it at all. But in my case, it's the opposite of yours: I can hear it only when the windows are *open*. Does this rule out knocking or detonation?

I adjusted the timing only once, after the distributor rotor was replaced, and checked timing every chance I get, because I also thought the noise could be related to timing. Actually I replaced the rotor for precisely this reason also. But still no luck.

Thanks for the tip, Earl and Kevin. I'll try retarding the timing a little now.. Will post back about results.

snipped-for-privacy@wayne.edu wrote:

Reply to
sharx333

sharx333 wrote:

Are you sure that sound is coming from in front of you?

I had a mystery sound like yours that turned out to be the two latches on the rear seat back that you release to lay it flat.

The slight movement of the seat while traveling down the road was causing the latch to slide sideways and as it did a bit of sticktion made a little click as it let go. A smear of grease on the parts concerned instantly fixed it! (Note to self - it needs doing again now two years later!).

-- Graham W

PGM-FI page updated, Graphics TutorialWIMBORNE
Wessex Astro Society's WebsiteDorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & MapsChange 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Reply to
Graham W

Reply to
ah1244