PO135 error code

I get PO135 error code after service engine light came on.

Firestone says one of O2 sensors bad. Replace both.

car is 98 dx Civic with 57,000 miles.

Is that covered by emmissions dealer guarantee ?

Reply to
wp51dos

"wp51dos" wrote in news:1163421526.052662.105340 @h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

That's P-ZERO, not P-oh. (P0135).

It's the sensor between the manifold and the cat (primary sensor). The heater vircuit is bad.

You do *NOT* NEED TO REPLACE BOTH. Don't go to Firestone.

However...Correct procedure here is to clear the code and see if it comes back. You might get lucky and it will stay away. If it comes back, then replace the sensor.

Not likely. Oxygen sensors are only covered under a three year or five year warranty. Call your dealer to be sure.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

P0135 error code

Thank you for reply.

Car just passed california smog 2 months ago.

I tried resetting the error code with all the things you said on TeGGeR. Won't go out.

Other ways to reset ?

Car running fine. I will check gas milage.

Called Honda america. They say not covered period.

Reply to
wp51dos

"wp51dos" wrote in news:1163550116.290594.172210 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

How'd you try to reset it? By disconnecting the battery?

When the light came back on again, was it the same code? There are literally 100 possible codes, so don't just assume it's the same one.

If the battery-unplug didn't work, and the light keeps coming back on with the same code, then the heater is truly bad and the sensor must be replaced.

The only other way to reset is with the OBD-II scan tool.

Won't tell you a thing. Will have no noticeable effect on mileage.

It was covered as part of the new-car warranty, which is obviously long expired.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I removed shield from exhaust manifold and found hairline crack. I put JB weld epoxy on it. It is sitting overnight now. Will post results. Thank you.

TeGGeR=AE wrote:

Reply to
wp51dos

carry a fire extinguisher because at exhaust temps, epoxy burns. unfortunately, cracked manifolds can't be economically repaired, so you need to get a replacement from a junk yard [if you can - i believe catalyst containing manifolds like your would be illegal to re-sell in california] or buy new.

Reply to
jim beam

The JB epoxy disintegrated to powder easily scraped off with screwdriver. Replaced it with manifold patch cement from autozone.

Replaced O2 sensor.

Sevice light off.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to