poll - high mileage civics, what oil U burn ?

Page 2 of 4
wrote:

From a link on TeGGeR's FAQs: http://www.yotarepair.com/Sludge_Zone.html
Mike
<<As for synthentic oil, dirt still gets in and churns around just like with ordinary oil so I believe it should be changed just as frequently so why pay more for it?>>
Because it makes a difference in extremely cold climates?
I became a believer in synthetic about 18 years ago. A group of us were on a winter camping trip. It was 25 degrees below zero (minus 75 with wind chill). We had six vehicles at the site. In the morning, one by one we tried to start them. The first 5 vehicles failed to start (they could barely crank). The guy who owned the 6th vehicle was sitting on a picnic bench watching with a smile on his face. When it came his turn, he put the key in, turned it, the engine cranked very rapidly and started. Everybody wanted to know what the heck he did to his car. The answer was Mobil 1.
The following winter I had two vehicles, one of which had Mobil 1 and the other not. Both vehicles happened to be parked outside one night when the temperature got down to minus 22. The next morning I went to start the non-Mobil1-vehicle and it did start, but it made the most spine-chilling screaming and metallic scraping noise. I figured that was good for about 100,000 miles of engine wear right there. I shut it off and started the Mobil1 vehicle. It cranked rapidly and started right up with no unusual behavior.
I know these stories are anecdotal but that has been my experience. Now I use Mobil1 in all my vehicles in the winter. I also use Mobil1 in my air-cooled lawn tractor, which has only a splash lube system, because I tend to abuse it (cutting tall brush to clear trails). My understanding is that synthetic has better extreme high temperature behavior (maintains viscosity better and doesn't chemically break down).
EJ

'87 Civic Si... 240K miles... Mobil 1. Rocker cover leaked, but since repaired.
nb
I don't burn or leak any oil and neither does my car....
TL

Car: 1991 Civic 3-Dr Hatchback, 1500 CC Miles: 163,000 Fuel Efficiency: 39 - 41 MPG/Highway Oil: Quaker State 5W-30 in winter, 10W-30 in summer, religiously change it every 4000 miles. Does not burn any oil yet..........knock on wood!
Rob B wrote:

Car: 1991 Civic 4-Dr Sedan, 1.5L Miles: 173k 2005 Fuel Efficiency stats: Overall average and st. dev.= 41plus or minus 2.3 mpg (or +/- 6%) Warm months average = 42 mpg Cold months average = 40 mpg (so a decline of about 5% from summer to winter) Range = 38 mpg (Feb fillup) to 47 mpg (June fillup) Oil: Pennzoil 5W-30 for life of car, changed about every 5k miles or six months.
Seems to burn maybe one-half quart at most between oil changes, but I'm really not sure. In the last few years I always end up adding some at some point between oil changes.
I read a report on the net last year about using synthetic oil in cars. Some guy sampled data from people and wrote it up. Not a lot of data but enough to make it a worthwhile read, IIRC. Seems that, in older cars, seal failure simultaneous to switching to synthetic oil is very rare, but does occur. It wasn't entirely clear that the switch caused the seal failure.
Elle wrote:

I would like to know why one other poster here said that Pennzoil was crap. I have put Pennzoil, Castrol and Quaker State in my Accord (all 5W-30) and have had no problems with any of them.

My motorhead brother says Havoline tends to leave carbon deposits, so I never even gave it a chance to have its way with me. (Although I have to wonder if somebody who would shoehorn a 454 into a Vega is the best guide!)
I have used Pennzoil, Valvoline and Quaker State pretty much interchangably over the last three decades. I've only been using Mobil One for a few years, but so far I'm happy.
Mike

I would too.
The best i can figure from techinical specs is that penzoil scored middle or so along with oils like Shell and chevron supreme and valvoline all climate etc

I'm sure you know this, but to share my own view: Part of the beauty of online fora open to the public is that they denote in total ultimate marketplace of ideas. People can and do post anything, substantiated or not. When what is posted seems off-kilter, typically enough people respond such that a reasonable person can arrive at a conclusion that is useful.
With rare exceptions, this method of transmitting 'the best information possible' is, simply, the best. Mathematical proofs even exist that argue the more diverse a group of problem solvers, the more likely the best solution will be found.

Over 20 years ago I knew young men who claimed Quaker State caused more sludge than most. Maybe he was right--back then. But I also think there is abundant documentation that oil formulations have changed dramatically in 20+ years. So I read reports on today's conventional oils with I hope an open mind. I'm not going to switch my car from Pennzoil to something else, but I don't reject anyone else's use of anything else.
I am not switching to synthetic because I have the time to do oil changes. My 91 Civic's oil change schedule also forces me to crawl under the car for half an hour about every six months and inspect (and clean up a bit) the exhaust system, CV boots, my oil pan, etc. I think this semi-annual or so inspection is important on an older car.
I realize that I might very well get better mileage with synthetic, and it might improve engine longevity, too.
On the third hand, seems like we get plenty of reports here of Hondas going over 300k miles on conventional oil.
If I didn't have time and had money to throw away, I'd be a lot more open to switching to synthetic.
Elle wrote:

theres always walmart synthetic- $12 for a 5qt jug.

I meant that if I had money to throw away on the (apparently only) outside possibility that there'd be a serious seal failure, then I'd probably go for it.
Otherwise, I agree the price of the synthetic oil itself is probably justified, given that it will require less frequent oil changes.

I sure understand that. The risk/benefit on changing to synthetic really isn't compelling on an older engine.
Mike
isn't tech 2000 (walmart brand) made by safety kleen? and arent they a used oil recycler? just wondering if the stuff with the walmart label is in fact reconditioned used oil??
i have no data to back that up, but dealt with safety kleen in my former employ with a company that used them to dispose of hazardous waste. (Furniture factory, our old used rags and sludge in the paint shop).
SoCalMike wrote:

from what i understand of synthetic oil production that would be probably be a cheap way to get the base oil used to mfg the synthetic, i presume they send it back through a refinement process to gather the base oil used for various grades and since it is engineered oil then the oil produced is probably not suspect ( ? )

robb

?? What does this mean? Make synthetic from recycled oil?

It is extremely expensive to recover post-consumer motor oil, just like it's extremely expensive to recover *anything* post-consumer except aluminum. That would NOT be a "cheap way" to acquire a base stock. Unless you ignore the millions it will/would cost in tax monies that are/would be required to cajole refineries into taking the stuff.

It's the re-refinement that IS suspect, since some re-refining is done better than others.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
still the question: is Tech 2000 (walmart Brand) recycled? I don't think Safety Kleen is in the oil refining business.....
TeGGeR wrote:

Wal-Mart does not say on their MSDS's. Safety Kleen does not list that product under any recognizable name. But here are their motor oil MSDS's: <http://www.safety-kleen.com/skcda/views/pages/form/MSDSSearch/MSDSSearchResults.jsp?titleparam=MSDS+Search+Results&searchText=motor+oil&submit=Execute+Search
However, I did find this URL: http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2004-12-16/goods_ecoholic.php
An excerpt from above: "However, you can buy re-refined oil, like Tech-2000 ($1.56/litre at Wal-Mart) or Zellers' Autoprix ($2.27/litre)."

Apparently they are! <http://www.safetykleen.com/skcda/views/pages/channel/home.do?channel 48b71d>
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
The reason I assume Safety Kleen is the manufacturer of Tech 2000 is that their name shows up on the actually shelf price tag in Walmart. I was not able to find that name anywhere on the bottle.
Very interesting, thanks for the links Tegger.
I as well have been involved in wood recycling at my last employer, manufacturing particle board. Only within the last few years were we able to switch away from the old UF resins, to something more environmentally friendly. Well it didn't stink like UF anyways, still full of VOCs, though in lower quantities.
When I left, the VOC reduction strategy was in using more friendly finishing technologies.
But the bottom line is, like you say, virgin fibre is king, as it is much much more difficult to control the quality of the fibres used from recycled materials. Although we could boast a 97% yield of the trees we used, either for solid wood, veneer or particle board applications.
Another question, as its been forever since my last chemistry class. How would one lengthen the hydrocarbon chain of a shortened oil molecule? add carbon?