Portable GPS System - how to make sure it's not stolen?

I know very little about this, but would love to buy a portable navigation system. My only concern is that it's very easy to put in (suction to the windshield or dashboard), but just as easy to steal. I
would think that putting a 500-600 dollar devices in a car that's so easy to remove is an invitation for the potential thief to break into the car and take it.
Is there a solution to this problem? Is there a way to install the portable GPS unit securely in the car? I would hate to take it off any time I leave my car parked for several hours in the city.
Thanks!
I have had a Garmin 2610 for 2 years now, simple solution unplug the unit and put it out of sight takes about 5 seconds.

success snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Damn right!

If they SEE IT,they will try to steal it. "Securely mounted" or not. They will RIP APART your car to take it.
Maybe you could disguise it,have a fake kleenex holder that drops over it,so it does not look like anything that is worth stealing.
Or mount it IN the dash,and have a panel that closes over it when not in use(or so it IS the flip-up panel).Some people remove the passenger airbag and install their DVD screen there,it flips up when in use. You -could- do the same for your nav screen.(I don't recommend it.)
The trick is that they not see it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The word 'portable' should be a good indication of how to protect your investment.

Usually the windshield mount is separate from the unit itself. My Garmin C320 is that way and I just pop it out and stick it in the center console. I guess a thief may still break into your car upon seeing the empty mount but I sorta think they would likely move on.