Portable GPS System - how to make sure it's not stolen?

I know very little about this, but would love to buy a portable navigation system. My only concern is that it's very easy to put in (suction to the windshield or dashboard), but just as easy to steal. I would think that putting a 500-600 dollar devices in a car that's so easy to remove is an invitation for the potential thief to break into the car and take it.

Is there a solution to this problem? Is there a way to install the portable GPS unit securely in the car? I would hate to take it off any time I leave my car parked for several hours in the city.

Thanks!

Reply to
success_ny

Dell

success snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Damn right!

If they SEE IT,they will try to steal it. "Securely mounted" or not. They will RIP APART your car to take it.

Maybe you could disguise it,have a fake kleenex holder that drops over it,so it does not look like anything that is worth stealing.

Or mount it IN the dash,and have a panel that closes over it when not in use(or so it IS the flip-up panel).Some people remove the passenger airbag and install their DVD screen there,it flips up when in use. You -could- do the same for your nav screen.(I don't recommend it.)

The trick is that they not see it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The word 'portable' should be a good indication of how to protect your investment.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Usually the windshield mount is separate from the unit itself. My Garmin C320 is that way and I just pop it out and stick it in the center console. I guess a thief may still break into your car upon seeing the empty mount but I sorta think they would likely move on.

Reply to
MAT