Possible Flaw 2000 Accord EX

My son has the above car with the 5speed transmission. While he was at school last week, it slipped out of gear and ran into his boss's truck which caused over $1600+ in damages to my sons car. The Honda Recall site mentions an ignition problem that might allow the car to slip out of park but does not mention anything about the manual transmission. Has anyone heard about this problem with the manual?

Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@crsdata.com so I can start a total.

Reply to
Chuck Phillips

Grahame

Grahame, Great post. I always use the parking brake and NEVER use the transmission as a parking brake. I guess that ALL people have not yet developed that habit. If someone failed to make use of the parking brake--the driver is to blame for any accident that is caused. Jason

Reply to
Jason

And how many clicks was his parking brake set at? And the parking brake was last adjusted and serviced when?

Reply to
Seth

sadly untrue. parking brakes can relax and release as they cool if hot when set. for that reason, /always/ park a stick in gear, especially on a hill. oh, and for the record, the clutch interlock switch should prevent even the most forgetful from being able to start the car in gear.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
Grahame

One should not just place an automatic transmission in Park either. The parking brake is there for a reason (not just for playing on slippery roads ) and should be used to ensure the vehicle does not move.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

No.

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

The owner's manual for our Toyota Prius specifically says *not* to use the parking brake in freezing weather because of the risk of the parking brake freezing in the set position.

Relying on the braking power of a parking brake will eventually lead to trouble, as neither the application force nor the effectiveness of the brake is assured. I know I'm not the only person to drive a while before noticing the parking brake is still on. Leaving the tranny in gear is all-or-nothing and does not significantly "soften" over the years. For anything but wet, freezing weather the best bet is to do both.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have never known a manual tranny to pop out of gear when parked. It takes energy to move the shifter and there is just no place for that energy to come from. (Not so an automatic, where the parking pawl is not assured of seating in the first place.) The inescapable conclusion is that the shifter was left in neutral. It happens to everybody at times - I'm sorry your son's car was a victim of bad odds.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

all-or-nothing

Reply to
Grahame

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grahame" Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:31 AM Subject: Re: Possible Flaw 2000 Accord EX

We have more trouble with the shoes freezing to the drums - not an issue with 4 wheel disks, but a major headaches with the drums. Water gets into the drums and will wick between the shoes and the drums if the parking brake is on. A couple minutes with a propane torch on the drum does the trick.

To each their own, but the blanket advice to use parking brakes is not something I endorse.

Reply to
Michael Pardee