Power steering leak in Accord

I have a power steering leak in my 1991 Accord. I?m nursing this car along as it dies a slow death and can?t afford to re-do the system. Right now, I?m having to add fluid at least a couple of times a month. Any ideas whether or not the Lucas Power Steering fix is okay to try? I?m not sure if it is compatible due to the fact that Honda wants you to only use their P.S. fluid, but the unit?s in pretty bad shape so I?m wondering how much more harm can it do? I bought the car used so I?m not sure if the prior owner used Honda-only fluid.

Reply to
pattymelt

Where's the leak?

Reply to
Jeff

how does the cost of fixing the system stack up against the cost of replacing the vehicle?

Reply to
jim beam

Like Jeff said, try to track down the leak. If you need diagrams, try the parts ones at

, or those in the factory manual linked at
Only put Honda PS fluid into the system. Non-honda PS fluid will make things way worse than they are now.

"pattymelt" wrote

Reply to
Elle

So is Honda going to disown you if youdon't use their fluid in a 15 year old car....

Reply to
Woody

no, but they'll be able to sell you a new power steering system because ordinary fluid is incompatible and ruins the seals. just try it for yourself!

Reply to
jim beam

Not in the least. They already disowned you the moment your warranty expired.

However, your seals will disown you when they start to leak with the new fluid, however.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff