Prelude 7 year old timing belt

I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've gone less than 55,000 km.
I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?
On 3/14/08 12:34 PM, in article 7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no, "really

It is an interference engine, which means the valves can interfere with the pistons. It the belt breaks while the engine is running, it is highly likely that some of the pistons will hit valves, bending them or damaging the piston. Very expensive repair compared to preventatively replacing the belt.

What does the owner's manual say? I'd bet it says replace every xxxxx miles OR x years, whichever comes first.
7 years is old for a timing belt. As someone else already pointed out, it's a lot cheaper to replace a t-belt than it is to replace your valves when the t-belt breaks. Sounds like you also need to find a new mechanic that's better-informed about Hondas.
Dave
says...

Agree, had mine done at 50,000 mi and 7 yrs. As noted, either one, mileage or time, is the criteria. MLD
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Dave Garrett wrote:

I've yet to replace the timing belt on my 98 Civic (45K miles). Yes, I'm overdue. Last week, a Honda dealer gave me estimates for the job:
$105.38 water pump 56.85 timing belt 18.51 alt belt 21.92 compressor belt 20.54 p.s. pump 13.83 gasket, cyl hd cvr 12.92 coolant typ2 blue -------- 249.95 parts total 402.70 labor 9.88 environmental fee 25.00 shop supplies ------ 704.15 total
Sound reasonable? heh
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, ident wrote:

Correction--should read p.s. pump belt.
ident wrote:

majestic honda has that at a full retail price of $88, or $61 discounted. i think you need to call around other dealers.

says...

$400 sounds way high on labor to me. So does $25 for "shop supplies". I've had a t-belt and water pump replaced on my CRX before for under $500 total. I believe the same work on my V6 Accord was a bit more. I've also seen some posts here in the past with wildly varying estimates for t-belt replacement. You need to comparison shop several more places before deciding what's reasonable.
Dave
Labor costs vary widely depending where you are. So you cannot dispute the labor cost without knowing where the service is being done. From what I have read the total cost is in the average ballpark. You also want the job done by a good reliable mechanic, not some cheap DIYer.

says...

That's why I said "shop around". And the prices I mentioned were from a Honda dealer and an independent shop with Honda-certified mechanics.
Dave
| 7 years is old for a timing belt. My '90 F20A 's t-belt broke in 10-05 ( lasted ~15yr ) @ 79,800 km . I plan to open my 2nd F20A 's t-belt cover to chk belt's condition every 6 mth after 5yr.
| find a new mechanic that's better-informed about Hondas. He may have seen this belt, & think it's still fine, & nitrile ( costlier ) lasts longer than neoprene. www.aa1car.com/library/ar594.htm www.napabeltshose.com/index.cfm?location_id06
On 3/15/08 9:59 PM, in article 47dca436 snipped-for-privacy@news.tm.net.my, "TE Chea"

You really can't tell anything looking at a timing belt unless its frayed. Usually, if they are going to fail, they look brand new right up until the moment of death. Better to just follow the time and mileage recommendations that came with the car.
| You really can't tell anything looking at a timing belt unless its frayed. | Usually, if they are going to fail, they look brand new right up until the | moment of death. My F20A's balancer*belt ( fitted in 10-05 ) broke in 9-07 when this * still looked new, both mechanic ( good ) & parts shop owner believe this * was not fitted properly ( in 10-05 ). This shop then claimed a replacement for me, from manufacturer's salesman. In 12-05, my 12-90 Mitsubishi 4G15P 's OEM t-belt ( 15 yr old ) @ 76958 km was visibly cracky when replaced : mechanic ( honest ) told me to look @ this belt, he said " You're just in time ; your belt is close to breaking.". He said car makers are mad to prescribe 100000 km for t-belts in this warm & humid climate, even OEM t-belts should be replaced by 70000 km ( I presume he meant before 5yr old ), obviously he'd seen many broken t-belts. I gather that synthetic rubber cannot deteriorate & yet appear as strong.
TE Chea wrote:

But can you tell when a belt is going to go just by looking at it?
Jeff

| can you tell when a belt is going to go just by looking at it?
mysterios get no info fr me

Some engine have the valves crash into the piston heads;bent valves,broken conn.rods,damaged pistons...not very good.they are called "interference" engines.
my 94 Integra GS-R never had it's timing belt changed,unless the theives who stole it June 07 changed it before they put it in one of their cars. The car only had 59K miles on it.
I hope they didn't and it broke on them. I also hope they contract incurable illnesses,preferably disfiguring ones. I hope someone catches them stealing and shoots them dead.I curse them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
really real wrote:

dude, learn to cross post. then you'll see the answers from both groups at the same time.

Just changed the belt on kid's 98 GSR, 10 year old belt with 90K miles. From what I've read, this engine is of the interference type.
Frank wrote:

in a moderate climate and with moderate driving habits, i'd be comfortable with mileage not age. but i'd also be alert for the slightest change in the noise the belt makes too.