Price quoted for timeing belt and tuneup (105,000 miles)

I have a 1999 Accord EX coming up on 105,000 miles. I was quoted $600.00 for the timing belt and water pump replacement and $235.00 for the tune-up. Does this sound about right?

Reply to
Rick

Assuming these quotes are from a dealer, $600 for the timing belt/water pump sounds competitive with other Honda dealers. You might do a couple hundred dollars better at a specialized but independent Honda (preferably) or import car shop.

What exactly does the tune-up include? At a minimum, I would expect: new spark plugs (but how old are yours?) new air filter (but again, how old is yours?)

Maybe: New fuel filter New ignition wires New distributor cap New distributor rotor Timing check (pffft; if you've seen no problems)

My impression is that tune-ups at dealerships are ripoffs. The labor is minimal. They do more than is needed for the tune-up. You'd probably save a hundred bucks by buying the parts yourself and then having your local independent mechanic install them.

Check your owner's manual to see exactly what is due.

"Rick" wrote

Reply to
Elle

These quotes are from an independent Honda repair shop. They only use Honda parts and follow Honda's maintenance schedule. I've been going to them for many years so they have a record of all maintenance done on my Accord. I was a bit taken back at the 600.00 bucks for the timing belt and pump so I'm looking around.

Reply to
Rick

I was just speaking with my dealership and I was quoted $580.00 including taxes for changing the timing belt. An additional ½ hour of labour and $75.00 for the water pump if I chose to replace that at the same time. I always have replaced both at the same time in the past.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

I called my local dealer. They wanted $1058.00 for timing belt, water pump, and minor tune-up. All the Honda independents in Colorado Springs are running 750.00 for the same service. I called Denver and they are about

100.00 bucks cheaper for the same service.

Reply to
Rick

That's really on the high side. Especially considering that I am speaking in Canadian funds.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

If you have the time, I'd be interested in knowing what they do for a tuneup.

Not that I'm going to let anyone but myself do a tune up these days. I'm just curious if they do anything really special.

"Rick" wrote

Reply to
Elle

For the actual work involved to do the job, all of the prices I have seen in this thread are obscene. The first time I did a timing belt/water pump replacement, in my driveway, it took me a total of 5 hours. When I do it again, I'm sure it will be about 3 hours - or less. This is with all hand tools, except for an electric impact I use only for the crankshaft. You can be sure that an experienced mechanic, using a lift and air tools, can beat my time by a LOT!! The problem is the bloated flat rate time assigned to the job, as well as the overpriced parts. I realize that they have to make a living too, but give us all a break!

Reply to
doug

Our local dealer (Middle GA) charged $525.00 for a timing belt package on my son's 98 Accord I4. That included the water pump, all new drive belts, the timing belt and balance belt, valve adjustment checked, new radiator coolant.

Reply to
TWW

"Rick" wrote in news:w snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Acura sends me coupons occasionally quoting $250 for timing belt change,no mention of water pump.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

First, it depends where you are. Automotive hourly rates vary by region.

That said, $600 for a timing belt and water pump replacement sounds reasonable as does $235 for the "tune-up", depending upon what is actually being done at "tune-up" time. Up until the early 1970s a basic tune-up was pretty well defined as new plugs, new points, new condenser, set dwell, set timing, set mixture and possibly adjust the valves if needed. Add on items in a "major tune-up" would generally be the cap & rotor, PCV valve, fuel filter and air filter.

Today there is really nothing standard about a "tune-up" except that generally it includes new spark plugs.

Yet another variable is what kind of spark plugs are used. Basic ones retail for around $1 each today. Fancy Iridium plugs can be $10 each or more. You want to be sure to be getting plugs at least as good as what the factory originally installed.

Finally, if this is a shop you have been using for a long time and have come to know and trust, then you are probably dealing with reasonable folks. Beware looking for the best price on these kinds of services. Substandard parts, shoddy labor, etc. are all possibilities when dealing with second class service establishments.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Yep, the price of automotive repairs varies dramatically by region. Here in No. California most of the shops are at $100 - $140 per flat-rate "hour". Idaho, Georgia and other lower cost places are probably still in the $50-$70 per pseudo-hour range.

Parts prices also vary somewhat by region, but more so by brand of part used.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I agree it does vary dramatically by region.

Just as another price point, I was quoted around $1200 (on a civic timing belt/watter pump/tuneup) at a Honda dealer in Boston. They were quoting at the $95/hour rate.

A local shop in Boston did the whole job (with Honda parts) for $350. They work at $70/hour and charge actual hours, not "book hours" that are often higher.

Timing belts are very cheap (under $30 I think), and the water pump is around $50. Most of the quote goes to labor, so it depends on the shop's experience with Hondas (so they can do them quickly), and pricing policies ($$/hour, book or actual).

Just one more aside... I just bought an 05 Accord yesterday, and the dealer said the timing belt is now a metal chain and no longer has to be replaced. Haven't checked my owners manual yet to confirm.

-MVL

Reply to
mvl_groups_user

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Technically they don't stretch, but the links wear so the chain becomes longer. A bicycle chain will often be an entire link longer by the time it is retired.

Regular oil changes are crucial to timing chain life for the obvious reason.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee