Pro and Cons - Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Page 1 of 2
I am looking to buy a car. What do you guys think is better. I am looking at 2007s. I figure this is the time to get a decent discounted vehicle. I want a manual.

Get the one where you get the best support from the dealer.
Get the Camry, but we're biased here, it's the Camry group.

He posted to all groups.
Face it: all those cars are so similar, it really doesn't matter which one he gets. He could throw a dart on the wall and end up with a good car.
What he DOESN'T want is to end up with a good car but absolutely no support, with a bad dealer who won't fix warranty items and who doesn't take care of him and his $25,000 purchase.
It all comes down to his support system. Does he have a friend who works on Hondas? Get a Honda. Is the Honda dealer 50 miles away, but the Nissan dealer 3 miles away? Does the Nissan dealer have a good reputation in the community? Yes? Then get the Nissan.
And so on.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

That is exactly why I went with the Honda Accord. The dealership is one mile from my house and I know the owner's son as well as the service manager. It is so convenient when I have routine maintenance performed because I drive it over, and walk home. The last time I walked back to pick it up, they said they would have drove it to me.... I need the exercise anyway (ha, ha).
Of course, I got a great deal on the EX L V6 in February '07 because they sold it to me for $500 below invoice! I wish I could have held out for an 08, but I needed a car very badly in February.
He's looking for a 2007 and you're anticipating vehicle problems on the most reliable cars in America. A dealer turning away a warranty repair....Are you kidding me? Dealers have 2 or 3 people who do nothing all day except bill the factory for warranty repairs. It's easy money for them or are you thinking about disputable issues beyond the 3/36 total 5/60 powertrain warranties?

Warranty work pays a pittance compared to customer pay work. Yeah, they can balk at it, and/or do it badly, or give it to the worst guy in the shop, or whatever.
The point is, to them it's just another car, to you it's $25,000 out of your life.

Not true! Honda warranty pays the going rate for the area. Usually at least 95% of the posted door rate. Warranty parts also get a similar return. Considering the negative aspect of receiving poor survey feedback, a dealer would be more concerned about their warranty work thereby getting the best techs to do the repair.
"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote:

Nope.
They have a separate schedule, irrespective of the going rate for any area.
Trust me.

Nope! They have THE schedule. Factory times are what is recommended for any prescribed job. It's the dealer who creates his own schedule over and above what is recommended. It's what gives gouging dealers a bad name
"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote:

TIMES, yes. Pay rate? Honda doesn't pay the $80/hour or whatever is current for pay customers off the street.

They pay the prevailing rate in the area. A dealer submits a request for a rate increase based upon surveying other dealers (not just Honda) in the area and an audit of the applying dealerships effective labor rate. From those figures and the actual warranty rate sought, the District Rep submits to national and a decision is rendered . I've worked in 3 Honda dealerships since 1973. My current (23 years) Service Dept's door rate is $99 per hour (we are on the lower side in our area) and our current warranty rate paid to us is $95 per warranty flat rate hour. As soon as we have enough time to produce an effective labor rate that would allow us to seek an increase we will seek that same $99 per hour. And like dozens of times in the past as rates have increased, Honda will grant that. Of course we need to know when the right time to apply is. You are partially correct in that Honda doesn't pay the "street" rate. That's because the customer labor rate rises first and the warranty labor rate increase application soon follows. That's why I stated they are usually 90-95 percent of customer rate. But there are plenty of times the rates are the same. A dealer who turns away warranty work is leaving up to 30% of his business on the table as well as eventually running out of customers after he pisses them all off. Yeah, there are alot of gouging, uncaring dealers out there, but they won't be there long. If they want to run their multimillion dollar business in to the ground, we don't I'm not bragging or advertising (no location given), just wish there were many more legitimate dealerships out there so the ones in business that are doing the right thing don't get judged by the rest.
I joined the Camry group because I have problems with my 07 Camry. I wanted to know if the other owners experienced the same weird things that I have experienced with the car. So I wouldn't call myself biased. The reason I chose the Camry over the Accord when I purchased the car last year was due to the "new body" design. It was love at first sight. But like most relationship there will be some love-hate issues. I hate the Automatic transmission response of the 07 and have been with the dealer several times for warranty work due to said issue, and up to now the response time is still the same, but a little bit better. If your going to test drive the Camry, try accelerating quickly from a turn on an intersection or full throttle from a rolling start and see if the car will hesitate. Anyway it wouldn't matter if you got a stick shift. The Camry stick shift is only available with the 4 cyl. Check what tires comes with the Car, some owners said that the brdigestones didn't last for a longtime and were noisy at high speeds, my car came with michellin and they are fine. The 07 Camry has no coupe version like the altima and accord. The Solara is just a carry over from the 5th generation camrys and not the 6th gen 2007s. There were no consumer reports yet when I bought my Camry in 2006 and there are several websites now that reports discontented buyers of camrys. Try to google <2007 camry transmission> and see what pops out.
Dealer support is also good to consider since I've been back to 2 different dealers for warranty support and none of them turned me down and I didn't even purchase the car from them. Though Toyota of North Hollywood kept me waiting for a very loooong time before finishing a simple fix.
And lastly, If the 2008 Scion Xb was already out there last year, that would have been my car now =)

Try hanging out in the lexus groups for awhile. They've had this tranny problem for a few years now, and Toyota has done NOTHING about it.
I'm surprised it took this long to make it into the Camry, quite honestly.
Thanks, and all the while I wanted to trade in my Camry for an IS350, to get more oomph.. hehehe.

4 cylinder or V-6? Coupe or sedan? What are you used to? Fully loaded or stripped? Of the three you have mentioned, if you are going "cheap" I'd say Toyota, Honda, Nissan. If you are going more upscale, then I'd go Honda, Toyota, Nissan. If cost is the main factor, the Nissan might be slightly cheaper. Looks are subjective, but I like the looks of the Altima Coupe, then the Accord Coupe. The Camry is that usual Toyota combination of dull and odd - not bad, but not as good as the others. You should at least test drive a Ford Fusion (although a manual is only available with the 4 cylinder).
Most cars are reliable these days. You should just test drive a variety of cars and then by the car you like the best.
Ed

If the "ONLY" qualification you're looking for is now good a manual is, my preference is the Honda. I've owned a manual from all three of these makes over the years and I prefer the manual on the Hondas. However you'll need to define what you consider "better". Exactly what else are you looking for? Exterior design, reliablity, gas mileage, etc.... Have you driven each one? Preferably on the same day?
-Dave
We had an accord and a camry-both great cars-accord was a little more sporty-but was a little cramped for a 6 foot person--camry has a much better air conditioner. I liked the accord looks--camry looks like my parents car Michael