Problem Entering & Exiting 2005 Accord EX

I'm 72 years old and have owned many automobiles, old and new in the last 50 years. However, for the first time, I find myself hitting my head on the door's archway on entry and exit. It doesn't matter how the seat is adjusted, although the effect can get better or worse. I'm a small man, only 5'5" tall without any body distortions and can get in and out of my other 2 automobiles, which are Saturn SL2's, without any problems. I am extremely disappointed and annoyed and tend to prefer driving the Saturns in order to avoid hitting my head. Of all the Honda owners on this board who have the 2005 Accord EX, does anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
murray schirtzer

Since it's a problem for you, I advise you to trade it in or sell it. The Honda dealership might let you exchange it for a vehicle such as a small SUV or mini van that is less likely to cause you problems. Does anyone have any other options to recommend? Please post.

Reply to
Jason

Murray, I just tried this out in my 2004 EX and I think I can see why you'd have this problem. The windshield and its frame is very steep, and especially with the seat forward and "up," the tendency would be to get in at a point where the rise of the window frame isn't even near where it is at its tallest. I'm 5' 9" and have not hit my head on mine; I think I must just be aware of it on some level and avoid it. Note that there is not as much headroom in the EX as in the LX because of the sunroof, though I don't know if the body frame is different and would make any difference there... Still, all I can suggest is that you stay conscious (really!) and be aware of this. I bet you are confusing this new car with your other cars and getting in and out the very same way.

I have a cousin who is your age and just bought a 2005 Accord LX two days ago. He's taller than you and I didn't see him or his wife having and such trouble. Try adjusting the way you get in - yes, you have to duck. I hope you get used to the new procedure and enjoy your new car. Head injuries are the worst!

Reply to
Howard Lester

I'm 6'1" with much of my height in my back and I don't have this problem with my '05 EX.

I do note that the sides of the seat back come forward quite a bit and I press against them when entering/exiting. Perhaps this is causing you to lean forward when entering/ exiting.

The driver's seat does have a separate up/down adjustment in addition to forward/backward, and back tilt angle. The steering wheel also adjusts in/out and up/down. It took me a while to figure out how to adjust it all (and don't every adjust the steering wheel while driving, WOW is that scary).

Have you tried adjust the driver's seat in this order? (the order is important)

  1. Adjust the seat as far back as is comfortable for your legs to operate the pedals.
  2. Adjust the seat height as low as possible while still giving good visibility.
  3. Adjust the back angle back as much as is comfortable.
  4. Adjust the steering wheel in/out and up/down to whatever is comfortable for your arms.
Reply to
Brian Stell

When entering sit down on the seat first and then swing your legs in. Exit legs first. I have the same car I'm 6' and never bang my head using this method.

Reply to
Jack

Howard, Your comment regarding the Accord LX refreshed my memory. When I took a test drive prior to the purchase of the EX, it was on an Accord LX and I had absolutely no problems getting in and out of the vehicle. The salesperson said that they didn't have an EX available for the test drive but that the EX and LX were physically identical. That may have been a mistake on my part in believing that statement.

Reply to
Murray

Reply to
Howard

Reply to
Jack

"Howard" wrote

The interior dimensions differ. From my 2004 Accord brochure:

Headroom front/rear:

LX: 40.4/38.5

EX: 38.3/36.8

I'm sorry, Murray, that you didn't get to first test the EX before buying. Do your best with it - it's got a lot of neat do-dads that the LX doesn't have.

[the first] Howard
Reply to
Howard Lester

Jack, It looks like, if I sitick with the EX, I will have to do what you suggest, and sit down and then swivel. Yes, in all the 16+ cars I've owned previously, I've just slid in, almost sideways. The only other time I had to sit and then turn was when I was leaving the hospital, as a passenger, after a hip replacement.

Reply to
Murray

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
Howard

This is a problem with many of the newer automobiles thanks to the heavily curved roofline and the modern way doors are made. Things we once took for granted like being able to easily get in and out of a vehicle now must be re-examined and checked out on test drives.

Bummer! John

Reply to
John Horner