Problem Replacing Muffler 98 Civic

Replacing the muffler without tools was harder than I thought it would be.
I got the old muffler off. How do I get the gasket off? Is it hard to do?
This is the one part I dare not screw up since the exhaust pipe has to stay.
A. Smith wrote:

no kidding! i'm impressed. do you have it on video?

no. it just pulls out. you clean out the debris, put the new one in, and you're in business. in the immortal words of the haynes manual, "assembly is the reverse of removal".

"A. Smith" wrote:

Then what did you use exactly?

Exhaust gaskets on Hondas are usually the ring type. These tend to get crushed into a groove on the end of what's officially known as the B pipe (the middle exhaust pipe). Sometimes you can pop these out with a small screw driver. However, sometimes you need a small sharp cold chisel to get under it though be extremely careful not to damage the B pipe. Hint, the ring gaskets are pretty soft while the steel of the B pipe flange isn't so if you're hammering away at it then your probably attacking the wrong thing (a few light taps should be all that's necessary to get under it and then pop it out with a screw driver).
Eric
Eric wrote:

OK, usually and appropriate tools.

I was going to try a channel lock, but the gasket is in a groove?
Hint, the

My tool of last resort is a Dremmel with a cut-off wheel. I thought I would "carefully" cut the gasket in two.