problem with handsfree on new Accord

Page 1 of 2
INCOMING CALLS don't work - the answer function does not respond.

--

OK, my *car* is new 2013, but my phone is antique (about three years
old, I think), an LG VX8360. I think - no model number on the phone

Aha, I finally found the Tools/Call Settings/Auto Answer w Handsfree.
I don't really want auto-answer, but maybe it will help?
Also found this site to ask Honda: http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/support.aspx
Will try ASAP, tomorrow.
J.
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:24:57 -0700, JRStern wrote:

Unless you're doing this so a *passenger" can answer, give it up: you'll never really be answering a phone and driving at the same time -- you'll either be driving, or answering the phone and not really driving at all (just going through the motions of driving, attention all elsewhere).
HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

There IS something about being on a phone which is just different than having a conversation with a passenger or listening to the radio. I figure that maybe it has something to do with a passenger knowing when you need to concentrate on driving and they shut up while a caller just keeps talking and your attention is divided.
I sure try not to use the phone when I'm driving but it is hard to just ignore calls.
dgk wrote on [Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:16:26 -0400]:

Whether hands-free or not, there are several studies that show talking on the phone while driving is the same as driving while drunk
On 10/15/2012 11:22 AM, Justin wrote:

If my phone rings while I'm driving, I will either hand the phone to my wife or pull over to the side of the road and stop. Since I hit retirement age, I don't get very many phone calls on my mobile phone!
While I was working I would pull over to the right side with blinkers on and either answer my phone or, my page.
One evening, I was driving home from the roller skating, my pager went off just as I turned onto the On-Ramp. If that wasn't enough, a police patrol car pulled up behind me at the bottom of the on-ramp and wanted to know if I had a problem. Thanks officer, I now have two problems. <sigh>
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:21:04 -0400, "Richard B. Gilbert"

Did the officer let you go when you mentioned you were talking to your travel agent? I hear that sometimes works.
--
Paul Miner

Paul Miner wrote on [Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:08:07 -0500]:

I'd assumed he had lost his buggy whip and was looking for a switch
On 10/15/2012 5:16 AM, dgk wrote:

To a large extent it depends on the traffic situation. Driving on busy street is quite different from driving in a calm freway traffic. Leaving decent distance after a car, instead of tailgating, is also a major factor. Many accidentt are caused by taigaters.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:16:26 -0400, dgk wrote:

My self-preservation instinct makes it easier for me to ignore the calls than to ignore the road. Much easier. Of course, YMMV :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

At 16 Oct 2012 03:57:51 -0400 tlvp wrote:

A better self-preservation instinct would keep you off the roads in the first place! ;)
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:03:43 -0600, Todd Allcock wrote:

Don't laugh ... most days of the week it *does* :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

At least with the hands-free it's legal.
I agree with all the negatives, but sometimes you want to receive or make a quick call when you're running late, that sort of thing.
J.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:33:16 -0700, JRStern wrote:

Shoot, you guys, I talk all the time when driving...I HAVE to or I'll never get any work done.
I also have my phone mounted on the dash, line of sight to the road, so I rarely have to take my eyes off the road when calling. It's not much worse than talking to a passenger in the car. And if you get voice dial to work there's no problems. Just make sure it doesn't dial "Ball and chain" when you say "Girlfriend"...

So...? What happened?
I've found that, generally speaking, if a phone is not considered by Honda's HandsFreeLink to be /fully-compatible/ with your car, you'll have problems of one kind or another.
--
Tegger

Agreed 100%.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Drove around but didn't arrange to try it, and didn't get any unexpected calls.
Did get a message back from Honda basically saying hey if it's not on the list try one that is, have a nice day.
This being the LG list: http://www.handsfreelink.com/hondana/index.php?waiting=&ringtones=&phonebook=&callhistory=&btaudio=&smsreply=&smsread=&smsnotification=&songinfo=&emailreply=&emailread=&emailnotification=&pandora_bt=&pandora_usb=&aha_usb=&batterylevel=&callerid=&signal=&roaming=&submit=&do=phones&model cord Sedan&years 13&vehicle_id1&manufacturer5&carrier=&searchtype=manufacturer&archive=&start
I'll post back when I've fiddled with it some more.
I mean seriously, they have to try out their car with eleventy-million different phones? Maybe the dealer should spend a few extra moments on that, pre-sales or post-sales. Maybe I can see why they wouldn't.
About what I expected, have to upgrade my phone to go with the car! May be about to upgrade the phone anyhow, my phones tend to run older than my cars!
Thanks,
J.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:53:02 -0700, JRStern wrote:

http://www.handsfreelink.com/hondana/index.php?waiting=&ringtones=&phonebook=&callhistory=&btaudio=&smsreply=&smsread=&smsnotification=&songinfo=&emailreply=&emailread=&emailnotification=&pandora_bt=&pandora_usb=&aha_usb=&batterylevel=&callerid=&signal=&roaming=&submit=&do=phones&model cord
Sedan&years 13&vehicle_id1&manufacturer5&carrier=&searchtype=manufacturer&archive=&start

You would think with a phone like that it would be in the code. That was a fairly popular phone; Verizon gave them away to Unicel people when they took it over, since Unicel used GSM. The ONE complaint I had was when it dropped a call the <WEENCE> in your ear could deafen you! The reason I dropped it was because I coukdn't do ANYTHING while on a call but talk. If I had to look up a number or view a calendar I had to hang up. Not good for me. Other than that I liked the phone.
I didn't have any troubles pairing it with any of my BlueTooth accessories.
Get something on eBay. My current phone is a BlackBerry World Edition 8830 I got for a whopping $6. That paired with a Yaris I was given as a loaner no probs.

Apparently that is /exactly/ what they do.

You'd think they'd know to do that, but I think most dealers don't know much beyond getting your signature on the bottom line.
--
Tegger

No, the handsfree auto answer doesn't work either, at least not by itself.
I still need to fiddle around, but even without the handsfree, actually clicking an answer key on the phone seems to connect, and then pressing the speaker key ON THE PHONE eventually seems to transfer the audio to the handsfree, and pressing the end key ON THE PHONE seems to end the call properly. I think.
Also, if trying to answer from the handsfree doesn't work and ends up locking out the radio, MAKING a call from the phone seems to clear it out.
I probably will be upgrading the phone shortly anyway, but geez what an irritation this is right now. My sympathies to Honda for having to test against every phone.
J.
ps - btw, this LG VX8360 is kind of a pain to use even all by itself, always popping up messages about missed or waiting calls and refusing to respond to the speaker key or other commands if it's in some odd mode or other.
But then, I don't think I've ever seen a cell phone I thought was well designed, for like human beings to talk on. Human interface design is just totally a lost art.