Problem with Low Fuel Indicator Light

The low fuel indicator light on my friend's '99 Accord does not seem to be working. Basically, the gauge works and goes to E, but the indicator does
not seem to come on anymore.
1) How probable is it that the bulb simply burned out? (She drives a lot and tends to run the car until the indicator comes on.)
2) Is there anyway of testing the low fuel circuit short of running the car out of gas? The gauge does work. And the lamp self test when you turn the ignition key on does not seem to test the low fuel indicator bulb. (At least what I gather from the manual.)
3) Assuming it might be the bulb, how easy is it to pull the instrument cluster on an Accord? It appears there a few screws across the top of the cluster. Is it as easy as undoing those and working it out? (I've pulled the cluster on a '87 Toyota Supra, and the trick there was just finding the screws which seem to be in the same basic positions as on the Accord.)
Any suggestions on how to approach and solve this mystery will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Don
You need to check the bulb first by jumpering two wires on the connector going to the fuel pump. Haynes repair manual in auto stores should tell you the exact ones. I think it's wires #1 and #3, not sure. If the bulb doesn't light with the wires jumpered, then it's the bulb.
The low fuel light is operated by a separate level sensor. It can go bad. I heard those years of Hondas (many different models) have trouble with fuel sender units. The level at Full may be off, or the low fuel level light doesn't work. The metal used on earlier sensors interact with sulfur in the fuel.
It might be easier to jumper the wires before getting at the instrument panel -- 3 easy screws for the access cover and disconnect the connector.
Don wrote:

John,
I gather the access cover you are referring too is in the trunk? Definitely sounds like the way to go in terms of ease of checking.
Thanks!
Don

be
does
lot
car
the
the
pulled
the
greatly
Don wrote:

likely.
is it turning on during the self-test? if not, theres your answer.
only other way would be to pull the sending unit from the tank and play with it.
Yes, the access cover in the tank.
I don't think this light turns on during key-on lamp test per manual.