Protect Your CR-V's Spare!

Hello Honda enthusiasts! I just wanted to take a moment to let fellow CR-V owners know about an especially maddening rash of automobile-related thefts that have been going on in my area, and which may soon spread to other regions ... if it hasn't already!

I live in suburban Buffalo, New York (U.S.A.), and for the past five or six months there's been a huge escalation in the theft of spare tires from vehicles that have them attached to the rear door. Honda CR-V (prior to the redesign, of course) and Toyota RAV4 models have been particularly hard-hit by thieves, but they're not terribly fussy! They've also hit other such SUVs like Toyota FJ Cruisers, Suzuki XL-7s, Hyundai Santa Fe's, Kia Sportages, Hummers, and various Jeep and Land Rover models. They've also hit older vehicles like Isuzu Amigos, Nissan Xterras and Chevy Blazers, so be forewarned!

The thefts have occurred both in the dead-of-night and in broad daylight, and the thieves have even gone so far as to completely rip off the frames and/or swing-arms holding the spare tires on vehicles equipped with them. They're hitting tires mounted on steel wheels as well as stylized aluminum wheels, so it would seem that nobody's safe!

Naturally, the authorities recommend putting high-quality wheel locks on the spare tires, which is what I immediately did on my '05 CR-V SE once news of the thefts started to become more widely reported locally. So far, so good!

So, keep an eye on your CR-Vs and protect your investment; sixty-five bucks to save five hundred makes economic sense to me, but I just thought I'd spread the word to anyone willing to listen.

Happy Motoring!

Reply to
Scott