protectionist b.s.

Page 1 of 7
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100203/ts_alt_afp/japanusautocompanyrecalltoyota_20100203001517
"US chides Toyota over recall"
this is back-door protectionist political bullshit.
fact: ford, bmw, and others have all had throttle sensor problems, and in much greater numbers than toyota.
fact: the media has all but ignored it.
here we are, hot on the heels of political dismay at the unconsidered consequences of their ridiculous "cash for clunkers" program benefiting manufacturers of fuel efficient cars, not domestic gas guzzlers, being subjected to politically motivated hysterical xenophobia.
fact: toyota sells better, more fuel efficient, safer, more reliable vehicles using american parts and american labor than domestics assembling their carp from the chinese componentry they import.
if toyota needs to learn a lesson from this fiasco, it's that they need to show up in washington and hand over their lobbying cash like detroit does, not be politically naive and simply rely on selling superior product.

Well said.
Al Moodie

You were right to begin with .... b.s.
On 02/03/10 10:17, jim beam wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100203/ts_alt_afp/japanusautocompanyrecalltoyota_20100203001517
Take a pill, relax.
("It's only Chinatown") :)

Currently Toyota accounts for 41% of all unintended acceleration incidents. Ford accounts for 28%. Both Toyota and Ford have about a 16% market share apiece.
GM and Chrysler have UA numbers smaller than their market shares. I don't know the exact number.
--
Tegger

According to todays Tribune Newspapers, the Chairman of the House Oversight Committee is stating Toyota will be asked about runaways problems with the Tacoma truck.
The NHTSA has received over 100 complaints about sudden uncontrolled accelerations problem on the Tacoma, their truck that does NOT use the same pedal assembly as the other recalled Toyotas.
The article also refers to Japans Transport Ministry releasing that their have been numerous complaints about "braking problems" with NEW generation Prius. Toyota admits they are addressing braking problems in previous Prius models but they are "unaware" of problems in the NEW generation Prius.
The ever growing issue over sudden uncontrolled acceleration in most every type of Toyota vehicle is having a sensitizing effect on consumers around the world and Toyotas confusing responses are not helping the situation. Curious ah?

On 02/04/2010 07:51 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

dude, at this stage it's mob hysteria. fact is, frod have defects that have killed thousands of americans. but rather than spend money on proper design and execution, they instead show up in d.c. with lobbyists and spend hundreds of millions of dollars making "contributions" to [which is MUCH cheaper b.t.w.] our representatives so they can stay off the political/legal radar screen.
toyota, naively, just make great cars under the false impression that they're selling into a meritocracy that plays fair. and they are so wrong. but toyota, inadvertently, are shining the harsh light of reality on the utter debasement of american values with this bullshit from politicians that are prepared to take the dollar and turn a blind eye to manslaughter rather than stand up for the lives and values of citizens that elected them. it's an utter disgrace.

(Cross postings deleted, automatically)
What is the name of that river in Egypt? ;)

Another take on all this: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/02/03/george-jonas-toyota-s-sticky-situation.aspx The author is a private pilot, and has raced motorcycles for many years. He has some knowledge of machinery.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/02/03/george-jonas-toyota-s-sticky-situation.aspx
Good reference that amplifies the need to educate drivers as to emergency procedures common to all vehicles.
As a licensed pilot, a lot of this is incorporated in training.
As a certified SCUBA diver, a lot of this is incorporated in training.
I have long advocated that getting a driver's license should encompass more than parallel parking etc. Everyone behind the wheel should be aware of automotive basics as well as driving technique. That includes emergency responses to sudden life threatening events.
Further, cars have become far too complex for what they are expected to deliver. Airplanes go through strict regimens of maintenance while cars don't. Yet both approach each other with regard the degree of operating complexity.
Simply put, a substantial number of people behind the wheel just don't belong there...
JT
On 2010-02-03 13:46:35 -0800, Grumpy AuContraire

From your mouth, to God's ears.
Ever drive in Arizona?
Conscience wrote:

Flaw-duh?
said:

Go you youtube and look up "What Old People Do For Fun"
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Yup. I still say Arizona. With Ohio not far behind.
On 02/03/10 16:46, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

They vote, too. :(
The problem we have in this country is that we allow people that do not know how to drive, to teach others how to drive.
As the state with the highest number of bad drivers, Massachusetts wins hands down. ;)

The difference is, if a driver losses control of his car, it is already on the GROUND LOL

Except that four of the reported five deaths involved a highly-trained policeman.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Yeah, but we all know that cops are not selected as the best and brightest.
OTOH, if they got smacked by the Toyota, nothin's poifect!
JT
It appears Toyota need someone with computer knowledge, not mechanics, since models with the FBY system are also presenting, with a SPEEDING up problem, not mealy staying at a set speed, as would indicate a mechanical problem.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/02/03/george-jonas-toyota-s-sticky-situation.aspx