protectionist b.s.

Page 5 of 7  
september.org:


More likely you'll just get a coupon for $10 off your next oil change.

That's a certainty. That's what mass tort is for.
--
Tegger


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A fair and equitable distribution for the customers troubles. Now where did that Microsoft coupon go......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:26:26 -0800, Stewart wrote:

Really. The only people who win in a class action lawsuit are the lawyers.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You won't get an argument from me on that point.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 07:17:45 -0800, jim beam wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100203/ts_alt_afp/japanusautocompanyrecalltoyota_20100203001517
WOW! I AGREE WITH JIM BEAM!!! <thud!>
Well said. Add to that the public likes to see the Big Dog take a stumble. If you want some real heartburn, watch how Brian Williams on NBC is going after Toyota...er...full throttle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wasn't Brian Williams part of the "Exploding Chevy Trucks Fiasco"? Oh, no he wasn't. I remember now, that was Stone(d) Phillips...Too bad....
DaveD

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Almost forgot about the 'staged' event that was made for the sole purpose of hurting GM truck sales.
Just another example of the extremes the media would go to in order to slam American nameplates.
However, sticking accelerators, sludging engines and rusting suspension parts on Toyotas made over the past 6 or 7 years are very REAL!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

but the media loves this crap. weepy victims on the news. remember Audi? the media trotted out driver after driver claiming their cars were the devil after having killed a family member. in the end - all the drivers were at fault for pressing the throttle instead of the brake.
I'm sure we'll hear from the idiot Sienna driver who is positive her minivan crashed into another vehicle while she had her foot on the brake. Just like all those Audi drivers from years ago.
"This is like deja vu all over again." - Yogi Berra
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You mean, like the Japanese version of protectionism that, in 2008, exported over 2 million vechicles to the US, while at the same time, only allowing 12 thousand American nameplates to be imported there??????
Or the type of protectionism that Japan displayed when they had their own "cash for clunkers" program, but excluded the handful of American nameplates that WERE sold there from the program???????
Sounds fair to me, I guess, if I were from Japan.

Amazing statement.
For over three decades, the media has lamblasted American autos for everything from interior light bulbs burning out, to weather stripping dry-rotting after 10 years. They hammered away repeatedly at the "lack of American reliability until many, who did not check things out on their own, began to believe them.
Now, the worm is beginning to turn, and there are those who believed what the media said for thirty years, are accusing them of the same things they did against American nameplates.
Maybe turn-a-bout IS fair play!

Kinda funny how it took about 20 MILLION Toyota recalls over the past 3 or 4 years before it became politically motivated, or a "hysterical xeonphobia."
Hell , a good chunk of the MILLIONS of recalls happened well before it became "chic' to knock Toyota.
The sludging engines, or rusting supensions were known well before the US government began ownership in GM or Chysler, so there was nothing to be gained by the US pressuring Toyota into making recalls. There goes the 'conflict of interest" argument.
And BTW, if you believe Toyota has NOT been spending bundles of money lobbying Washington, then YOU are more naive than you claim Toyota is.

Really, you didn't make a single factual statement at all in this paragrah.
Matter of fact, just the opposite of what you stated is actually true.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

So what? Maybe the Japs simply don't like our cars. Ever thought of that? If WE won't buy them, why would THEY?
There's a reason Toyota has the market share they do, in spite of all the hatred directed against them from certain quarters.
--
Tegger


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If that is the case, why not let the free market decide???????????????
If you are right, the Japanese would NOT buy US products.
But, of course, they MIGHT buy US if they HAD THE CHANCE TO DO SO IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The GOVERNMENT restricts the number of US imports sold in Japan.
If there were "TRUE FREE TRADE", and the Japanese still didn't buy from the USA, you might have a point.
But, being they are not allowed to so IN THE FIRST PLACE, you simply make a moot point/
Why not give the Japanese the CHOICE TO REJECT US NAMEPLATES?????????????????
Maybe because the Japanese government fears the public might not do so???????

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/06/2010 11:37 PM, jr92 wrote:

that doesn't explain why japanese vehicles sell so well in all the other markets where u.s. manufacturers are free to compete.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry#By_Manufacturer
note that
1. vw outsells gm globally for cars.
2. gm's non-domestic product line includes opel, a range of cheap, small, efficient vehicles with global appeal that sell well in other markets [but they don't make them here]. they have a real hard time selling their domestic product line overseas and they'd be sunk if they were so trying.
fact is, the japanese make better, more reliable vehicles that sell well in every market in the world. u.s. domestic vehicles have very limited appeal outside domestic markets so this "protectionist" argument doesn't wash..

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Might be true today. Tomorrow might be different.
The market is very fluid at this point, and who " out sells who" changes almost monthly.
Fact of the matter is, wether they are second, first, or third in total sales, GM sell MILLIONS of vehicles world wide, in markets where they ARE ALLOWED TO COMPETE!!!!!!
I've said it a thousand times before, but here it goes again:
If you sell MILLIONS OF ANYTHING, it ain't junk.
Junk doesn't sell, not by the millions.
So, getting back to my original point, GM sell Millions of cars and trucks world-wide, but only 12000 in Japan.
Sounds to me Japan is using very unfair trade practices, or "protectionism".

Yet, they cant build Buicks fast enough for China.
Selling 'em by the millions.
And they are hardly either, "non-domestic, nor cheap, small efficient vehicles"

Fact is, you are wrong, once again. Any way you can objectively compare US to Japan clearly shows American nameplates are as good as, or better than, what Japan has to offer. Check the numbers.
As far as biased-typed comparisons, I guess you'll have to stick to the likes of Consumer Reports or the mass media (but wait, they are beginning to hammer at the Toyotas like they did Gm in the 80's and 90's.)
I guess we'll have to go to newsgroups like this and listen to the likes of you whine about how unfair the media is treating Japanese vehicles.
Hell , even Jim Higgins has posted negative things about Toyotas lately.
If that ain't a sigh they are in trouble, I don't know what is!

As does GM.
Don't forget, they haven't left the planet yet. They are still selling millions of cars and trucks.
Actually, its pretty amazing how they still sell so many vehicles considering the things they have had to over come in the past 30 years.
Just more evidence they must make a pretty damned good product,

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/07/2010 10:13 PM, jr92 wrote:

i bow to tegger on this - he's got your number.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
(Cross posting deleted, automatically)
His comment was just one more YABUT excuse to deflect from the fact Toyota has been ordered to recall 5.4 MILLION unsafe vehicles all around the world. LOL
?wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/09/2010 07:10 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

except that it's not. and nor should it be. and don't top post.

no, toyota have /not/ "been ordered", they have done a voluntary recall. see frod for details of how to avoid compulsory recalls.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I remember reading the Mother Jones article on the exploding Pinto problem. Ford fought for years to prevent the government from implementing rear impact standards. When the standards finally passed, the Pinto was the first car tested - and it passed!!! Ford had added a $3 shield to prevent the bolts on the differential from ripping open the fuel tank. Ford had paid millions in lobbying costs and burned 500 customers to death to save $3 per car.
Ah, the good old days.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/11/2010 06:55 PM, Gordon McGrew wrote:

frod lobby to save less than that by sticking to red rear turn signals. absolutely retarded given that we're no longer driving turnip trucks at 5mph on empty country roads.

these are the halcyon days - bought political favors are in full force.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Who cares? Why is it so important that they buy our cars?
We've got lots of other stuff to sell Japan besides cars.
Canada last year, for instance, sold just a little more overall to Japan than Japan did to Canada.
--
Tegger


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
That is probably true, Japan has to import all of its beef, leather, wood or paper products and a lot of it food stuffs

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.