You are truly the Google-challenged. Or you're just trying to pick a fight.
From: <http://internationaltrade.suite101.com/article.cfm/japans_top_exports_imports
Japanese Imports from U.S.
Of the $59.6 billion in American exports to Japan in 2006, the following product categories had the highest values.
1. Civilian aircraft - US$3.5 billion (5.9% of Japan from U.S. imports, up 9.4% from 2005) 2. Medicinal equipment - $2.7 billion (4.5%, down 2.2%) 3. Industrial machines - $2.3 billion (3.9%, up 17.9%) 4. Telecommunications equipment - $2.1 billion (3.5%, up 10.6%) 5. Semi-conductors - $2.06 billion (3.5%, up 10.4%) 6. Corn - $2.0 billion (3.3%, up 22.1%) 7. Pharmaceutical preparations - $1.8 billion (3.0%, up 13.2%) 8. Computer accessories - $1.75 billion (2.9%, down 2.4%) 9. Measuring, testing & control instruments - $1.69 billion (2.8%, up 16.4%) 10.Organic chemicals - $1.4 billion (2.4%, down 6.4%)
Fastest-Growing Japanese Imports from U.S.
Below are American exports to Japan in 2006 with the highest percentage sales increases from 2005.
1. Military apparel & footwear - US$196.3 million (up 185.9% from 2005) 2. Precious metals - $871.6 million (up 117.6%) 3. Copper - $222.2 million (up 78.2%) 4. Fuel oil - $75.6 million (up 77.9%) 5. Aluminum - $304.9 million (up 62.4%)
--
Tegger

in the length of car you can buy to either 4 or 4.5 metres?
--
Clive

writes

I dunno. But if so, then why aren't the domestics making cars which fit that requirement?
Look at the Japs strenuous efforts to make care we will buy. We certainly don't do the same for them. The original Honda Odyssey did not sell well. Why? It was too small. Honda made the Odyssey bigger, and buyers finally got interested.
The Japanese try to find out why a particular vehicle isn't selling well here, and change the car so it will sell well. Do we do that for them? No.
Toyota is doing better tham GM simply because it's a better-run company with smarter management.
--
Tegger

the ground if the Bureaucrats don't let people who know how run the company. If they won't, then I greatly fear GMs demise. The guvmint doesn't have a great track record managing anything.
DaveD

Sounds like YOU are Google-challenged to me.
Once again, this is group about automoblies, not foreign trade (as one sided, or unfair as it may be)
Opps, please strike the words within the paragragh from the records!
In message

car don't conform to the tight Japanese specification.
--
Clive

I'm new here, having just bought our first Honda Pilot Touring, so joined the group. We lived all over Europe, and I've been to Japan, Korea and, unfortunately, Vietnam. My observation was that they drive German cars in Germany, French cars in France, Italian...well you get it... mostly because they really do have a sense of national identity. In places where, like Cairo, there is no "national" car then they go for - like the family we've known for years - Honda because they thought enough to put in a dealership, with trained mechanics. Otherwise every block has a "shade tree" mechanic for the old cars that they do have. Most countries have tax policies (like taxing engine displacement - in Germany) that are a de facto limitation on imports. Other places, like Switzerland, have a huge import as well as annual road usage tax, which obviates against big American cars. And I talked to a Swiss about selling my 455 Pontiac Bonneville (they want the engine for boats) and he outlined what it would cost. So there are a lot of factors, mostly taxes, and annual costs, not to mention the lack of service. We always bought a VW for delivery in Germany, when we knew we were going, just because of the service network. I toured an E-Type Jaguar across Europe, and had an atlas with the few service places outlined. Well, the grandkids just arrived, so off to get cookies!

No, the Japanese Government restricts the number of US cars allowed to be sold in the US.
No free trade at all is allowed.

writes>The GOVERNMENT restricts the

It does not. Not since 1978.

Have you bothered to do /any/ reading about this? American makers have simply failed to address the needs and desires of the Japanese market.
<http://www.jama.org/library/studies100297.htm
Excerpt: "Compounding these problems, the report said, was the fact that the Big Three had never built a car under 2,000-cc engine displacement - the segment that at the time accounted for more than 80% of the entire market (18) - nor had they designed any cars for Japan with the steering wheel on the right-hand side.(19) Moreover, prices of U.S.- made cars "tend[ed] to be higher by approximately 20% on average than those of comparable Japanese-made cars," the report said, despite the fact that Japan had completely eliminated auto tariffs in 1978.(20)"
--
Tegger

On 02/08/2010 07:00 AM, Tegger wrote:

well said.
(Cross posting deleted, automatically)
His comment was just one more YABUT excuse to deflect from the fact Toyota has been ordered to recall 5.4 MILLION unsafe vehicles all around the world. LOL
writes>The GOVERNMENT restricts the

Actually the number is about 8 MILLION recalls in the past year, and growing.
The number is probably over 20 million if you go back five years.
But, these vechiles are so much better than the Corvar, Pinto, LTD, or 1985 Buick!

This whole statement you made here is simply full of doo-doo.
you use a few factual statments, but mostly biased ones here.
How about using a little logic, instead?????
GM sell, MILLIONS of vehicles world wide, but only 12000 in Japan.
"How are the "needs' of Japan so different from the rest of the world that, given a fair chance, GM sells millions of vehicles to?
Does ALL of the Japanese people live in the narrow streets of Tokyo, meaning GM didn/t make a small enough car for them??
And what about this "2000 cc engine size?????
Is there some kind of Japanese law stating engines have to be a certain (small) size??????
If so, that, in itself, is a govenrment restriction, whether terriffs are used or not.
Only one in about a thousand examples of how a government can restrict free-trade even without tariffs.
Now go back, and Google, and Wikipedia a little more and use common sense the next time you tell me that a country that has a population of, what, about a 130 million people whom have largly embraced a Western-civilization lifestyle only buys 12000 GM cars???????
Pretty lame exuse on your part.
Any you insult Japanese people with your generalations.
In message

trotting, but your statement indicates that you've never been outside of the USA and have a very poor grasp of other countries requirements.
--
Clive

On 02/11/2010 06:49 PM, Clive wrote:

don't hold back dude - he's a podunk xenophobic hick. he got his edumacation from paw's leather belt on his ass and he's grateful for it.

Once again, city boy, your Cyndi Lauper True Colors are shining through.
Used no reasoning skills what-so-ever.
Even though you never owned an American vehicle, or at least not in this century, anyway,you continue to trash them.
If I know nothing about Japan and the tastes of Japanese car owners, you know even LESS about US nameplates.
But, gosh-darned, in debating with you, I learned a new word.
Xenophobic.
Real nice.
I always thought is was some kind of instrument you played.
Something like a skin flute.
You taught me something, now I'll teach you.
Ever hear of a guy named Alvin Dark???
Used to be a baseball manager.
Had a famous saying he liked to use when he brushed someone off who annoyed him.
Now, I give it to you.
"Take a hike, son"!
On 02/11/2010 09:49 PM, jr92 wrote:

paw sure did learn you good with that leather belt o' his!
podunk hick.
jr92 wrote:

During a discussion/argument on vehicle makes, you mentioned Cyndi Lauper, a skin flute and you bring up a baseball manager.
Are you inbred, just incredibly stupid or both? Please tell me that your kids are adopted and that you did not infect following generations with your genes.

Your comprehensive skills aren't very good are they????
Try understanding to entire context of a post and what the auther is trying to say.
I don't mind passing out a few good insults when they are deserved, I don't even mind recieving insults too much.
However; when insulting a poster, I usually have the decency to keep his wife, children or parents out of it.
You should do the same.
And yes, you did hit a raw nerve.
Now, politely take a hike, son.