protectionist b.s.

I will admit, I have not owned 30 GM's like you. Owning more than one a year is not a good sign at all. How can you gauge reliability when you swap out your GM's that often? If you have driven, say 1,000,000 miles, that comes out to just 33,333 miles per GM, assuming that GM's are all that you ever drive. Not a lot of miles per car.

I do auto work for a lot of friends and family, and sometimes for money. I have also stripped out quite a few different foreign and domestic cars for parts resale.

The past 20 years of doing this has exposed me to all sorts of different vehicles, including a lot of Fords and GM's since, believe it or not, they tend to require a lot of repairs.

The domestic vehicles are consistently the worst ones. Work on enough cars and tear down enough of them, and the quality, or lack thereof, becomes obvious. It would take a true idiot not to see that the Japanese have just completely beaten us in the quality department.

How close I am to my neighbor is none of your business, and it is a she, not a he. We might be casual friends and I might be sleeping with her, that is completely irrelevant to the fact that the Impala that she owned was a complete piece of shit, contrary to your fantasy that it is a good car.

The likes of you supporting them no matter what they make is why the United States is still laughed at for producing shitty vehicles.

What would really hurt me is to keep repeating the same process of buying a piece of junk domestic car and hoping for a different result. That was Einstein's definition of insanity.

I am talking about domestics in general. When you speak of "cities being ruined economically", are you talking about just GM? I didn't think so.

If you are really going to say that the LTD that my parents owned was a good car for it's era, then you are completely out of touch with reality.

Not even the biggest Ford fanatic could possibly call that car a "pretty good vehicle". There were a lot of better cars out there during that era, they just weren't made by inept workers, which means that they were imported.

In this newsgroup, I have only seen you defending domestic vehicles, while several knowledgeable people are pointing out that they are junk.

Some even put it more nicely than that, but if they did not think that the cars were junk then they would buy them. You put way too much faith in the power of advertising.

Not a car salesman, just someone who is into cars and likes to help steer friends and family away from bad buying decisions. You claiming that the Impala and LTD were anything other than complete garbage, now that is a lie, as it is certainly not the truth.

Reply to
pws

In message , jr92 writes

Although I've never been to Japan, I've done quite a bit of globe trotting, but your statement indicates that you've never been outside of the USA and have a very poor grasp of other countries requirements.

Reply to
Clive

I remember reading the Mother Jones article on the exploding Pinto problem. Ford fought for years to prevent the government from implementing rear impact standards. When the standards finally passed, the Pinto was the first car tested - and it passed!!! Ford had added a $3 shield to prevent the bolts on the differential from ripping open the fuel tank. Ford had paid millions in lobbying costs and burned 500 customers to death to save $3 per car.

Ah, the good old days.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

frod lobby to save less than that by sticking to red rear turn signals. absolutely retarded given that we're no longer driving turnip trucks at 5mph on empty country roads.

these are the halcyon days - bought political favors are in full force.

Reply to
jim beam

don't hold back dude - he's a podunk xenophobic hick. he got his edumacation from paw's leather belt on his ass and he's grateful for it.

Reply to
jim beam

dia a little more and use common

I have not ever been outside the US (unless you count Canada), and, yet, you did not answer a simple direct question.

Of course, I have never been to the moon, either, but there are things I know about it, some through scientific fact, and others, simply through common sense and reasoning.

My common sense tells me that if the government would truly lift restrictions the Japanese people would buy a whole helluva lot more than 12000 GM products a year.

And if they did not buy the American products, the Americans would lose money, and quit selling there.

Best that I can tell, that scenerio has never happened, as the Japanese people have never been given a real chance to buy American autos.

Fact.

Or, are you implying that "other countries requirments" might be government, and not economically based????????

Just another fancy word for "restrictions."

Reply to
jr92

Once again, city boy, your Cyndi Lauper True Colors are shining through.

Used no reasoning skills what-so-ever.

Even though you never owned an American vehicle, or at least not in this century, anyway,you continue to trash them.

If I know nothing about Japan and the tastes of Japanese car owners, you know even LESS about US nameplates.

But, gosh-darned, in debating with you, I learned a new word.

Xenophobic.

Real nice.

I always thought is was some kind of instrument you played.

Something like a skin flute.

You taught me something, now I'll teach you.

Ever hear of a guy named Alvin Dark???

Used to be a baseball manager.

Had a famous saying he liked to use when he brushed someone off who annoyed him.

Now, I give it to you.

"Take a hike, son"!

Reply to
jr92

a little more and use common

Actually, it was answered pretty well.

If your knowledge of Japan rivals that of your knowledge of the moon, then you know far less than you believe.

The restrictions are not there to prevent people from buying US made cars. If US manufacturers want to sell cars in Japan, they can do so by following the rules. Even what is considered "rural" in Japan would not be recognizable as such in the US. It is a LOT of people on an island, and they are packed very closely together. Cars need to be small, and emissions need to be tightly controlled. US automakers do not want to comply with those restrictions, so they don't get to sell cars there in any large numbers.

That's pretty much exactly what has happened.

Sure they have. They can buy any American car with the steering wheel on the right, a small width, and a low displacement engine. How many of those does GM make?

Your idea of a fact is similar to what most people flush down the toilet after $.99 burrito night...

Requirements are based in both government restrictions and economic realities.

You don't know any fancy words...

Reply to
Joe

Also, not a lot of problems per car, either.

The million mile mile is a best guess on my part, it could be a lot higher when I count my wife and kids driving.

Also, not all cars I have owned were daily drivers.

I really hate posting again and again again about the GM car's I've owned that I drove daily, 150 mile round trip, back and forth to my job, with very little problems.

Have had several cars go well over 200000 miles on them.

My kids, try as they might, could not wear out the Chevy Cavaliers I bought for them.

I have been blessed to be able to own, or get rid of cars that I didn't like, (at least most of my life)

But, I have NEVER, gotten rid of a single GM car I have ever owned, because it was unreliable or "junk"

They all served me well, but some I just didn't like for one reason or another.

And, I have been fortunate enough to have been able to own more than a couple of performance cars that I have not put a lot of miles on.

Hit a raw nerve, huh???

All I know, having never owned an Impala myself, is that GM has sold a few million of them over the past 4 or 5 decades.

They would not have sold that many if they were complete pieces of shit.

And I have a few "friends" (I don't care to let you know I have not slept with any of them) whom have owned them and they have performed wonderfully.

So, based and what I have seen with my own eyes, and what I know for facts, (Millions of them sold), you'll pardon me if I think the Impala is a pretty good car.

Still selling very well today, even in the tough economy we are facing today, wonder why???

And no recalls with sludging engines, sticking accelerators, or bad brakes.

Not really. The people being laughed at are those who still try to prove Toyota makes a better car than GM does, in light of any factually data than can be used to compare the cars, and ESPECIALLY in light of the millions and millions and millions of Toyota recalls lately.

If America is making shitty vehicles, then Japan must be making a whole sewage system.

Please don't tell me you believe in Global warming, as well.

Another definition of insanity would be to keep producing a piece of junk and telling people how good it is, expecting it to continue to sell.

And even more insanity would be that some people believe them.

And yet, Millions were sold of these products.

For the humpteenth time, I'll say it again,

If people buy a million of ANYTHING, it can't be junk!!!!

BTW, you never did tell me how your neighbor abused her Impala.

Reply to
jr92

On 2/11/2010 11:53 PM Joe spake these words of knowledge:

a little more and use common

Joe, you're wrong here. The restrictions were created, and are worded very specifically, so that only local products can meet them. Technically, imports could do so, but the cost would be considerably more than it is worth. This is by design, and is not (or at least at one point was not) disputed by the Japanese government.

They do the same thing for many food products, most particularly rice and beef.

In America, many government contracts are worded so that only the desired vendor can meet the requirements. That's how it's done (of course, not always).

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a japan-basher, and I recognize the decades-long superiority of Japanese cars in most respects. I think if the import restrictions were lifted, the Japanese would buy a lot more than 12,000 American cars - but not a very significant percentage. Even

120,000 would be a very small percentage.

But the specifications required to be met to sell a car in Japan are certainly very carefully and purposefully written to exclude foreign vehicles.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

how does that explain how the japanese out-sell us by significant margin in global markets? [rhetorical - it doesn't].

fact is, joe is right - we don't /want/ to sell in the japanese market because we don't want to make small efficient r/h drive cars that would sell there! any comment to the contrary is either political posturing, or the repetition of same by some gull that doesn't get it.

Reply to
jim beam

paw sure did learn you good with that leather belt o' his!

podunk hick.

Reply to
jim beam

Your logic is analogous to the facetious justification of all sorts of lemming behavior: "Eat shit, 50 trillion flies can't be wrong."

Reply to
pws

During a discussion/argument on vehicle makes, you mentioned Cyndi Lauper, a skin flute and you bring up a baseball manager.

Are you inbred, just incredibly stupid or both? Please tell me that your kids are adopted and that you did not infect following generations with your genes.

Reply to
pws

er of US imports sold in Japan.

Not anymore.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

McDonald's has sold, what, 5 Billion burgers? They MUST be the best on the market!

Reply to
Joe

In message , jr92 writes

I don't see any common sense, or reasoning.

You've been told by more than just me that restrictions don't exist. Who, in their right mind is going to by a gas-guzzling vehicle while fuel prices are $10 a gallon.

You've had pointed out to you the range of items that make up a considerable trade from the USA to Japan.

You're just plain thick.

Reply to
Clive

that doesn't translate over here dude. our side of the pond, "thick" means fat - what you mean is "stooooopid".

Reply to
jim beam

In message , jim beam writes

Sorry I'll amend that to "Stupid".