protectionist b.s.

Page 7 of 7  
On 02/14/2010 10:39 PM, jr92 wrote:


"comprehension skills"

"author"
"receiving"
quite apart from your apparent inability to use a "spel chekr", you need to get some brains and figure out what you're dealing with when you post on an unmoderated forum.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jr92 wrote:

Since you are telling me what to do, I will do the same with you.
Grow a thicker skin or get off of usenet.
Just a suggestion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have not ever been outside the US (unless you count Canada), and, yet, you did not answer a simple direct question.
Of course, I have never been to the moon, either, but there are things I know about it, some through scientific fact, and others, simply through common sense and reasoning.
My common sense tells me that if the government would truly lift restrictions the Japanese people would buy a whole helluva lot more than 12000 GM products a year.
And if they did not buy the American products, the Americans would lose money, and quit selling there.
Best that I can tell, that scenerio has never happened, as the Japanese people have never been given a real chance to buy American autos.
Fact.
Or, are you implying that "other countries requirments" might be government, and not economically based????????
Just another fancy word for "restrictions."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, it was answered pretty well.

If your knowledge of Japan rivals that of your knowledge of the moon, then you know far less than you believe.

The restrictions are not there to prevent people from buying US made cars. If US manufacturers want to sell cars in Japan, they can do so by following the rules. Even what is considered "rural" in Japan would not be recognizable as such in the US. It is a LOT of people on an island, and they are packed very closely together. Cars need to be small, and emissions need to be tightly controlled. US automakers do not want to comply with those restrictions, so they don't get to sell cars there in any large numbers.

That's pretty much exactly what has happened.

Sure they have. They can buy any American car with the steering wheel on the right, a small width, and a low displacement engine. How many of those does GM make?

Your idea of a fact is similar to what most people flush down the toilet after $.99 burrito night...

Requirements are based in both government restrictions and economic realities.

You don't know any fancy words...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/11/2010 11:53 PM Joe spake these words of knowledge:

Joe, you're wrong here. The restrictions were created, and are worded very specifically, so that only local products can meet them. Technically, imports could do so, but the cost would be considerably more than it is worth. This is by design, and is not (or at least at one point was not) disputed by the Japanese government.
They do the same thing for many food products, most particularly rice and beef.
In America, many government contracts are worded so that only the desired vendor can meet the requirements. That's how it's done (of course, not always).
Don't get me wrong; I'm not a japan-basher, and I recognize the decades-long superiority of Japanese cars in most respects. I think if the import restrictions were lifted, the Japanese would buy a lot more than 12,000 American cars - but not a very significant percentage. Even 120,000 would be a very small percentage.
But the specifications required to be met to sell a car in Japan are certainly very carefully and purposefully written to exclude foreign vehicles.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Love means never having to say, "Put down that chainsaw".

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/2010 04:45 AM, Dave Kelsen wrote:

how does that explain how the japanese out-sell us by significant margin in global markets? [rhetorical - it doesn't].
fact is, joe is right - we don't /want/ to sell in the japanese market because we don't want to make small efficient r/h drive cars that would sell there! any comment to the contrary is either political posturing, or the repetition of same by some gull that doesn't get it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In message

Who, in their right mind is going to by a gas-guzzling vehicle while fuel prices are $10 a gallon.

considerable trade from the USA to Japan.

--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/2010 01:20 PM, Clive wrote:

that doesn't translate over here dude. our side of the pond, "thick" means fat - what you mean is "stooooopid".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Maybe, buy just not naive. There are a million ways a government can impose restrictions on items being imported into their country, making it nearly impossible for the item to be sold in the country, but, it would still, "legal" to sell the item in that country.
And we are both using generalizations regarding the Japanese.
On one hand, you are saying they WILL NOT buy our products, because gas is expensive. Others who have posted here say our cars are too large. Others have said the Japanese simply would not want to buy our product because it is inferior.
My Generalization is based on a little common sense.
Many Japanese people have embraced a Western civilization lifestyle. They like jeans, pop music. McDonalds, and baseball, along with a lot of other things we have to offer. It goes to reason they would also like some of the cars, just like millions of Americans like the cars THEY have to offer. Not real hard to understand. Yet, we buy MILLIONS of their vehciles, and they buy only 12000 of our cars. Something just isn't right here.
And, BTW, not all of Japan is located in Toyko. Some people live out in the country, where they would be able to own and drive a big American vechicle. A lot of people there also have money, so, high gas prices wouldn't necessarly, be an issue. Besides, if that were the case, there would be NO Toyota type vehicles, such as a Camry, Corolla, or one of their pick up truck lines sold there. The Japanese simply would not be able to afford to drive them. Those vechicles get, on average WORSE gas mileage than comperable American vehicles. It goes without saying that if, in a TRUE free trade system, a Chevy Malibu, which is of higher quality and gets better gas mileage, would sell in Japan if a Camry sells there. Or, are you saying they don't sell Camry's there?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In message

to Google for "Driving in Japan" to see the restrictions, which you obviously haven't. If there were the protectionism that imagine, how do you think (I know you don't, but that's a separate point) 12000 cars a year get in?
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/14/2010 11:20 PM, jr92 wrote:

wow, either amazing stupidity or clinical delusion. does the nurse let you play on the interweb very often junior? because s/he probably should be protecting you from too much reality if you can't cope with it.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Japanese market, instead of putting their heads in the sand.
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jr92 wrote:

Higher quality Malibu over a Camry? Wow, that is truly delusional. You must actually believe those sad GM commercials.
The reason that right-hand drive Malibus are not being produced for the Japanese market is that the Japanese people would not buy that POS vehicle, at least not in any quantity, and the decision-makers at GM know this.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You're starting to become unraveled. By all accounts, the Malibu is a better vehicle than the Camry, and it really ain't even close.
Try to stay with us who live in the real world.
The Malibu gets better gas mileage.
Even Consumer reports, who has slammed GM vehicles for decades, calls this a 'world-class car'.
And it even stops when you want it to.
And the accelerator doesn't stick wide open.
Yeah, it is a MUCH better car.
But hell, my 06 GP is a much better car than the Camry if you compare it objectively.
Better gas mileage, better handling, roomier, fewer recalls, safer, better looking (ok, the last part IS biased on my part).

Pretty factual statement on your part, huh?
Converting a Malibu to right hand would not be a hard task.
The Japanese government will not allow these cars to compete, at least on a level playing field, with the Camry in their own country.
Open the market, without any strings attached, and see what happens.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/11/10 01:00, jr92 wrote:

Biased facts? You've gone off the deep end now.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not anymore.
Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/10 11:40, Ed White wrote:

To the previous poster, not Ed, is the Japanese govt so powerful it can restrict "the number of US cars allowed to be sold in the US"? Wow, I had no idea.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.