Psychic Wednesday???

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:3_GdncjS8sdI4YPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

drill BITS is the word you're looking for. I've used RH bits before to drill out broken bolts and had the bit turn the piece out the back side of the work.

As far as easyouts go,the newer sort that are short and have a shoulder are supposed to work the best.I never had much luck with the standard kind of easyout.It seems like screwing them in expands the bolt around the hole you just drilled,and makes it harder to turn out.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Now, my old wood shop teacher was adamant that "bits" were the wood boring devices used with a brace; they have a flat face, centering point and cutting points at the ends of the face. What we are talking about, he insisted, are "twist drills" and are used with a "drill motor." :-) Of course, everybody knows them as drill bits, but I just know he's lurking with a ruler to rap my knuckles if I betray his teaching.

I also have had very limited success with easyouts. The grip never seems to match the tightness of the bolt. I've seen the newer type you describe but haven't tried one.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The same vernacular was used in my early days of aerospace manufacturing. The best drill "motors" were pnuematic as they had very good throttling control which is need when drilling out rivet heads to drive the rest through the work. Of course, the desired result is to install rivets to spec correctly the first time...

This project will be going to the machine shop Monday morning for removal of the crank bolt. Upon teardown today, all of the bearings appeard perfect as did the crank shaft and I'm going to see how the cylinders clean up.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I pulled the pistons today complete with rods. I'll take a pix in the morning and send 'em to you but it sure looks like factory to me.

Interesting note. All of the top rings were stuck which is not to be unexpected since this thing say with the head off of it for over ten years. It seems that the top compression rings are "thinner" than the second ring. IOW, the second ring will not fit into the top groove. I find this very strange. Have you heard of such?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Just to bring y'all up to date, Tegger and I did some off line conversing and it appears that 1982/83 1300 engines did have two different compression ring thickness as follows: Top ring - 1mm and 2nd ring - 1.2mm.

Called Majestic and while they are available, they are on back order so who knows how long. Fortunately, found a set on eBay that specified the above dimensions and snagged 'em for $50 including shipping and insurance.

Needless to say, my big overhaul project scheduled for last Saturday got pushed back but as soon as the rings come in, I'll hopefully be back on (some sort of) schedule.

The scheme is to use the pistons/rods out of the '83 which is a five speed with 110K and put them into the $200 '82 bare bones Civic wonder that has nearly zero compression on #1 and sucks up about a quart of oil per 200 miles. One guy whined that I killed all his mosquitoes and I just replied, "No Charge!"

The second part is to rehab the original FE engine with new pistons, rings and bearings and eventually reinstall it into that car. Then the '81 engine can be resealed and held as a spare on standby should the worst happen...

JT

(Who refuses to enter the 21st century regarding transportation...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Dropped the shaft off at the machine shop and by the time I got home, there was a message that the bolt was removed.

Turned out, he simply used a little "easy out lube" and it spun right out. No charge to boot.

These guys came highly recommended for work on smaller engines from the folks at my regular machine shop that does traditional/vintage engine work.

I'll probably take the bare block over to have 'em look at it as I think it will clean up fine with honing.

Life is good...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:gbrVh.55929$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

"Easy out lube"? Sounds naughty. Any details on this potion?

Reply to
Tegger

K-Y U wanna no???

I'll have more info tomorrow as I'll be picking it up and having my freshly honed cylinders inspected at the same time.

I feel like a kid shooting marbles on an uneven slope!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire