Pull Wheels to Inspect Brtakes?

One of the "B" service items on the Maintenance Minder list for my 07 Accord is Inspect Front and Rear Brakes. Do you have to pull the wheels to do that properly?

Reply to
Shaun

yes. you may be able to see one of the pads through the caliper and wheel holes, but not the other. and it's the one you can't see that typically wears fastest.

personally, i would do this simple task myself and not allow the dealer the ability to sell you new pads you may not need. you can get a basic but reliable jack and stands from sears for about $60. a lug nut torque wrench is a great investment at this point too.

Reply to
jim beam

I would add to that either an inexpensive micrometer or calipers (measuring kind) and measure pad and rotor thickness to check against the "book".

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

They ought to rotate the tires at the same -- which will allow them to check the brakes.

Reply to
tww1491

Actually, that's where I was going with this thread. My Mileage Minder actually shows B12. #2 is the air cleaner and cabin filter-- which I did myself. #1 is a tire rotation.

The dealer wants to charge me an extra $39 to rotate the tires-- on top of the B service costs. The way I see it, $39 is a fair price to charge someone who drives up for a tire rotation-- logging the car in, taking it into the shop, putting it up on the hoist, removing the wheels, etc.

But if they've already got the car up in the air with the wheels off, it's a rip off to charge me $39 to put them back in a different location rather than the same one.

If they won't throw the rotation in, I'll just do it myself too.

Reply to
Shaun