Puttering problem...

I have a 90 Honda civic that is standard transmission. Whenver the car is sitting idle, it makes a type of puttering and feels like its giong to turn off. Sometimes when I put it in gear, the accelerator
does not catch for about a second and then it does. During this second, it feels like its about to turn off. What is the problem here?
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/Puttering-problem-ftopict247165.html
nairda913 wrote:

Hi, Are you saure all 4 plugs are firing proper? If it is bad ign. wire or such you may see it with hood open in the dark. Will see sparks flying around.
nairda913 wrote:

===================== Could be you just need to run a can of injector cleaner through it. Topping up the coolant reservoir will often correct idle problems as well because the computer depends on a high enough coolant level to check the temp, and then is sets the timing and mixture.
'Curly'