question about hondas navi

thinking about buying the new 2007 accord ex-l if i buy the navi does it come with the navi cd's? And when they update do i have to buy the new cds? they are 310$
thanks

of years. I think its more like 150 bucks, not 310.
I have a 2006 Accord NAV, and I a 2005 Pilot non-Nav. I got a Garmin 360 Nuvi, and I swear it is more useful than the onboard NAV. Cost about $600 compared to the thousands to get the NAV in the accord. But I will say the other features in the NAV electronics are nice. I love the display.
Gary
Rusty wrote:

G-Man wrote:

I also use the Garmin units in my cars. Have semi-permanently mounted (w/external antenna) a 2610 in the dash bin beneath the heater/radio console and it works fine.
I don't know that it's MORE useful than the built-in as I don't have one to compare it to. It does, however, do everything I could want it to and does it well.
I, too, thought the update DVD's for the built in NAV systems were in the $300 range. Another fine deal from Garmin $75/year for their DVD which allows you to update TWO, not one but TWO, GPS units.
I have a CRV here in France that I bought new last April. The GPS is a joke and has let me down a number of times, some of this is down to road modifications but some is just cr*p programming/data.Files on the DVD are all dated 2004 for a car bought in 2006. Bad News of the day is that they want 320 Euros to replace the DVD which is the only upgrade route !!
Steve

yes they are 310$, maybe i will just skip the navi and go aftermarket. thanks for replies

Rusty wrote:

Yeah, I thought that figure was pretty close to the mark from what I'd seen.
I suspect the Nuvi from Garmin would fit in the console bin even better than my Garmin 2610 which works just fine at that location. I just drilled a hole in the back of the bin and ran the wires through. All I needed was a switched 12v which I obtained from the accessory socket right in front of the bin. Directions for getting at it are available on that website (sorry, forget the name) that includes the Honda instructions in .pdf for all the accessories they sell. Grab the one for the Cigarette Ashtray with lighter.
What's really nice (IMNSHO) is that the cover for the bin slips down when the Navi's not in use and doesn't attract thieves. The external antenna itself is squirreled away beneath the rear package shelf, in the trunk. Nice little access hole in the steel and it slips right in. Works like a charm and I typically see accuracy of +/- 7 feet with the unit. Close enough<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

$189 + tax & shipping (from https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php ). Hmmm... it says there's a 30day return policy. Interesting... :)
Just tonight, though, we saw the most inaccurate mapping from the Honda's navi system... for as reliable as it has been around here, it was a real bummer.
Chris Mattingly wrote:

Better price and I can read your mind (GMTA) but forget it. I think you'll find that like Garmin's maps the data is unlocked by GPS unit serial number. They've got the copy protection down pat. Hell, when the new DVD's are issued they send them to their users for FREE. You don't get unlocked until you pay the license fee which, as I mentioned earlier, has gotten VERY reasonable. They just reduced it last year to $75. Think it was either $130 or $150. Decent company with a great product and they aren't out to screw over their customer base.

Happens with the best of them. My Garmin's generally spot on but every once in awhile she'll get thrown for a loop. Biggest problem seems to be homing in on some restaurants or venues that you find by name and city and then tell her to take you to. If it happens to be situated at a shopping mall (and generally not in an outlot location) she'll go nuts trying to find it since she doesn't know that it's _IN_ the mall.
Still, like my AMEX, I'd never leave home without it.
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:03:56 +0000, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Yep. And a Garmin c320 is available for around $250 if you look hard enough. Add a 1GB SD Card ($15) and you can load the entire US & Canada. And it is an extremely accurate map system. I have driven in tiny little towns in NY and PA, and the Garmin knew of streets that I never would have called streets. Barely alleys.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Ah, didn't even dawn on me about unlocking issues. Better to be honest anyways, right? :)

Even after it sent us for a loop, I feel the same way. A mistake from the navi isn't going to make me like it any less.
-Chris

I found out the hard way (with our new c330) that the Garmin updates require a computer with an Intel chip set. Mine has VIA and the update program kept saying I had to hook up the GPS and turn it on. It was only in the Garmin on-line support that I found the limitation (by searching on the error text). It is apparently mentioned nowhere else in the literature. There is also apparently no work-around except to use a different computer.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Interesting. I never noticed as we're all Dell and, AFAIK, all Dells are Intel processor equipped.
Not sure if it would be a problem with the 2610 since the CF cards can be removed and popped into a reader which is the way I typically update. OTOH, the Quest has to be connected by USB so it might be a problem for me if it weren't for the fact that everything I have has Intel chipsets.

Yes until most recently. They're starting to put AMD in some machines.

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Updates, last I looked, were about $180 from Alpine.