Question about Infiniti interference

I have a niece who is looking at a 2002 Honda Accord w/ 126K miles, or a

1999 Infiniti I30 (w/ 6 cyl motor) with 91,000. Can anyone here tell me where to look to find out if the Infiniti is an interference engine?

Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

why would that influence your decision? the real question to ask is about how the cam is driven and what is its reliability record.

Reply to
jim beam

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:47a1472c$0$22578$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Jim Yanik

On 1/30/2008 10:13 PM jim beam spake these words of knowledge:

She does not know or have a way to definitely know the service history; this means that if the car has a timing belt rather than a timing chain (and is an interference engine), I will recommend that she change it now, should she buy the Infiniti.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

On 1/30/2008 10:44 PM Jim Yanik spake these words of knowledge:

Thanks, Jim.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:47a1baa2$0$6152$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I found it with a simple Google search,1st page.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:47a1ba56$0$6152$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

chances are that Infiniti keeps records of service done on their vehicles.They may be able to input the VIN and print out all the work their dealers have done on that car.

Also,buy Carfax reports on them both. See if they are flood damaged,been in collisions,etc.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

but he doesn't want an answer, he just want to chat - that's why he did what he did, not what you did. and it's why nobody's stating the obvious!

Reply to
jim beam

Infiniti i30 has a timing chain, not a belt. Whether it is an interference engine or not is not usually discussed with regard to these engines as it is not an issue. The Nissan 3.0L engine in these things is practically bullet proof.

Reply to
E Meyer

On 1/31/2008 10:14 AM E Meyer spake these words of knowledge:

Thanks, E. You're right, of course; it's not nearly as much of an issue if it's a chain.

The chain seems to be what I've seen on the Intarwebs, but I wanted to ask here because there are people here whose typing I trust somewhat more than the average joe's.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

On Jan 31, 9:31 am, Jim Yanik wrote: snip

But note that CARFAX lists only issues that have been reported. If repairs are done privately, no CARFAX record is available. CARFAX provides a title history which is sometimes enlightening.

A thorough check by a competent mechanic is the way to go.

Reply to
ACAR