Question about miles

This lady has a 2001 Honda Civic WIth 95000 Miles on it, i know thats too many, but is it better than buying a 1998 with 95,000?

yup because you're getting the newer style. more than likely she has mostly highway miles to.
-jeff

Jarrett Hurd wrote:

no. the 98 civic has wishbone suspension up front & handles much better than the 01 with macpherson front suspension. that kind of mileage in a civic is not a problem if you don't mind routine expense like brakes & preventive stuff like timing belt. if you factor those costs into your purchase price, you should be set.
just ask yourself which one is worth more and case closed.
-jeff

Too much for what? My '02 Accord has 126,000 miles on it. Bought it new in June of '01.

Run a carfax.com report on both cars. The facts in the carfax report should help you make your decision. Eventually, you will sell the car. You would get more money for the 2001 than the 1998. Also, consider the interiors. If the interior is one car is much better than the interior--that would help you make your decision--Also--look for signs of rust damage on the exterior.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Jarrett Hurd wrote:

I'd say it depends entirely on how well each one has been maintained. A 1988 with 295,000 miles that'a had regular maintenance would be better than a 2001 with 95,000 that's never had an oil change.
Virus Database (VPS): 0522-6, 06/01/2005
yeah thats really good reasoning! i hope shes done so, is there a way to check if people do oil changes at the right time? Any signs?

too

Well if you're just doing it off the cuff, peer into the oil filler cap with a little light and you would probably see if oil changes were very neglected.
oh okay thanks

with

That's what I do - if the metal is silver where the oil isn't coating it with brown (like on upper edges) you've found a gem. Any coloration is cause to look elsewhere. Don't confuse brown oil (which is okay) with varnish. A brown coating that doesn't wipe off with a rag - don't drop shreds in the engine! - is bad news. Look elsewhere.
Also don't buy any car that has even a trace of rust in the radiator. I let my car lust blind me and broke that rule once, and I regretted it.
I expect at least 200K miles out of any Honda product that passes those two tests.
Mike

cause
let
two
im taking notes right now this is really useful i dont know anything about cars but how to drive.
Jarrett Hurd wrote:

In general, yes. Of course a big factor is how the vehicle was used and how it was cared for. If those miles were put on as a local courier running around a city all day then the car is going to be very worn. If, however, those were highway miles due to a very long open roads commute then it was pretty easy on the car.
Maintenance history is a bit issue with a high mileage vehicle as well.
John