Question for a Fiend

My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.
When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking when going over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took it to the
dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is "something rubbing against the cradle"
What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear suspention. You all think she should just return the car or what. does this sound like a big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!
Brandon Scarbrough wrote:

------------------------------
www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.
'Curly'
"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:

Ain't a cradle the thing that fell out of the treetop after the wind began to blow???
JT

You're putting me to sleep... zzzzzzzzzzzz
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

LOL! Take that diagram and look for the baby. Probably be pretty easy to spot, even if it's spattered. Cradle should be close by.
"TeGGeR" wrote:

Bump your head when hitting the dirt??
<G>
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

That was actually after the bow breaks.......
L Alpert wrote:

The bow never made it there. It was pilfered by a wannabe Indian who had a ample supply of arrows...
JT
"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote

Too bad one can't 'play' on the word "bough," which is the thing that broke in the nursery rhyme-- not "bow."
Take a bow, JT.
HL
Howard Lester wrote:

Tank Yew, Tank Yew...
http://www.singingbabies.com/rock.html
JT
(Who's baby is an '83 Civic FE)
"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote

Should I?

I don't deal with fiends. =) (sorry couldn't resist)
Older Honda models were kinda known for squeaks/creaking when getting into the car and going over bumps. Typically they emanated from (1) the suspension coils rubbing against their upper or lower mount; (2) the suspension control arm bushings.
I never saw any sure solution to this. IIRC people tried various lubricants, and they worked a few weeks, then the noise would come back. But at least this approach would narrow down the source and so alleviate concerns.
I put new control arm bushings in all around my old 91 Civic this past spring. They now squeak/creak when temperatures are lower. I confirmed the source by stopping the car completely, and just pushing up and down on the front and rear bumpers. You could do similar, or maybe also put the car on ramps or jackstands and get someone to get close to the suspect source.
groups.google the archive of this group and rec.autos.makers.honda for more commentary.
Again, I am not sure if newer models have been showing this problem or not. Just tossing this out until someone with more experience with your friend's model chime in.
I suppose the cradle is some major supporting or generic member of the car's frame or suspension.

Usually, squeaks due to rubber degeneration can be temporarily squelched (notice the usage of two "sq" woids) by squirting (oops, make that three) conventional brake fluid on the offending items.
Of course as you mentioned, it would become part of a repetitive maintenance routine...
JT
Elle wrote:

I personally don't tarry over the squeaks. Your recent post re slapping on the cheapest tires available on old beater cars like yours and mine made perfect sense, with regard to not fretting over the little stuff.
My 91 Civic deserves the very best when it comes to engine maintenance AFAIC, but for the cosmetic, superficial stuff, it and I will both laugh to the bank (er, stock market). 45+ doggoned miles per gallon with the cruise control set at 65 mph, on a 15-year-old car. Damn I'm good. (All right, you fellows and the occasional woman at the newsgroup are good.)