Question for certified mechanic

My mechanical experience was with GM cars and have never done any major work on newer Honda vehicles. I have two repair manuals related to my 1999 Honda Accord (4 cyld.) and have learned quite a lot about my engine.
While reading the manual, I came up with some questions that I could not answer.
How are the balancer shafts lubricated?
How can you tell when the VTEC system is now working properly?
Thanks in advance, Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:10:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

they are lubed right after the mains and rods. same principle .
as for v-tech, you will know if it's working, you notice an rpm increase and the engine sound different, if it wasn't working right it would turn on the check engine light. Chip

Chip, Thanks--I'll write your comments in the appropriate sections of my most used repair manual. I only wish that I could see a disassimbled engine like the one in my car instead of trying to figure out those poorly made diagrams and pictures taken from only one angle. I'm too lazy and don't have enough free time to take a course in mechanics at the local community college. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

I got my automotive training at the school of hard knocks. The tuition can be pretty steep, though. Good thing I have groups like this to provide the Cliff's Notes.
Mike
The only way to get close to that, besides actually tearing down an engine, is to purchase the factory service manual from Helminc.com. It is a valuable tool for working on your own car.
Purchasing the seperate electrical schematic manual is also ideal. They pay for themselves with one or two uses, depending on the repair.
(Jason) wrote:

halo2 guy, Tegger told me the same thing. I failed to take his excellent advice and I regret it. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased the Helm manual. I am not allowed to work on my own car due to the property rules were I live. The only good part about the stupid rule is that we don't have see various people with old cars with no wheels setting in one spot for a year without anyone working on them. I miss working on my own car. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO