Radar Detector Recomendation

For the rest of the year, I'll be on the interstate for a weekly 500 mile round trip-- and want to get a radar detector. They seem to range from $50 on up to$500 or more.

I'm not interested in over working my credit card for "the very best" one. Nor do I need one that gives me the cop's name and what he had for breakfast when he lights me up. I just want a little advance warning of cops in the area if the old needle creeps up too high-- real easy to do in my '07 Accord EX-L Sedan 6 cyl.

So where's the most bang for the buck/sweet spot to buy-- and any specific recommendations?

Reply to
Butch Haynes

Use your cruise control. Then, you don't have to worry about speeding.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Valentine One! $399.00 Top rated.

Buying a cheap radar detector makes as much sense as buying a smoke detector that "usually" works well but is guaranteed to work once the house is actually burning well.

Reply to
Say What?

Well, if I accidentally set it a little too high, the radar detector will still be helpful. So can you recommend anything?

Reply to
Butch Haynes

I have had a passport solo for several years. It is nice in that it runs on batteries and doesn't have a cord hanging. I does a pretty good job, but you still have to be fast on the brake.

Reply to
muzzy

Get a Valentine One.

Drive with traffic in the right lane.

Don't tailgate.

Don't swerve in and out of traffic.

A radar detector by itself is meaningless. A radar detector against lidar is meaningless.

A radar detector against radar, coupled with intelligent driving, will keep you safe.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Intelligent driving by itself will keep you safe.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Hi, I never saw perfect one or dependable one. More like a nuisance causing distraction. Just dirve sensibly. In my driving days, I had one ocasion where detecotr prewarned radar ahead, then did not matter any way, I was not speeding. If you have money to spend on radar detecotr, I'd get a GPS unit(more helpful).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:YjLqj.18493 $C61.11322@edtnps89:

Intelligent driving does not necessarily entail adhering to the posted speed limit.

Reply to
Tegger

Lemme see if I got this right. Based on the fact that the one time your radar detector went off you weren't speeding, you recommend that I should install a device that tells me my exact location instead of warning me of a cop's speed gun? Huh??

Reply to
Butch Haynes

A RADAR detector won't keep you safe. Safe driving will.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hmmm, What I meant was spending money on GPS may be wiser than on detector. Today there are so much eoctronics noise every where, detector goes off on false signals so much.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

no, it didn't prewarn; it warned.

There is no such word as "prewarn".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Well, dumbass, once again you're wrong:

Prewarn \Pre*warn"\, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Prewarned; p. pr. & vb. n. Prewarning.] To warn beforehand; to forewarn. [R.]

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

No be a man and apologize to Tony.

Let's see what you're *really* made of...

Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

The problem is that they do not warn you all that well. If the cop is using K, Ka or X Band radar, you MIGHT get a slight warning if the cop just has the gun running full-time. BUT, if he is using it properly (instant on), you have no chance, as he won't clock you until he observes that you might be speeding.

Also, if he is using Laser (lidar), you get no warning EVER. If the detector goes off, it means he just clocked your car, and already knows exactly how fast you are going.

And if they are monitoring speed from the air, you'll never get an alert, but you'll still get a ticket.

If after all that, you still want to piss away money, buy the best, as it is your only chance of getting some semblance of early warning in scenario 1...

Reply to
Joe

Amazing how many people waste their time, and yours, and newsgroup space, responding but NOT answering your question. A few years ago I would have recommended Bell, but now - Valentine is the only one worth considering.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

The OP asked for specific recommendations. I gave him mine: Don't speed.

Reply to
Jeff

given that the title of this thread is "radar detector recommendation", we have to assume from your answer that "don't speed" is a brand. but i can't find that one at my local radar detector retailer. do you care to say where they are sold? sanctimoniousclaptrap.com perhaps?

Reply to
jim beam

But if you're driving properly--anonymously--and letting the rabbits run ahead, you get the warning from the cop hitting the idiots and losers who are happy to rabbit for you. Then you can safely slow down from

75-80 back to 65-70 before you go past that particular cop.

This works whether the cop is using instant on or is running it full time.

Speeding without tickets isn't just about a radar detector; it's a system. Please note that the above works only when you're doing it properly, in a pack. If you're out on the highway alone with little traffic, with nowhere to hide and no rabbits ahead, just slow down.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oh yeah, wikis and online "dictionaries" are what I base my life on, sure.

No apology required, because there's no such word as "prewarn".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty