Radar Detector Recomendation

i one time heard rumor to the effect that some speed cops used to get "commission" based on their "yield". i don't think that's the case now, but it sure would add zealotry to their work.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:SuSdnSKySu3ZvzDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Florida tried to enact such an anti-LLB law and the stupid governor vetoed it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The law:

"21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."

As I read the law, it means that you have to drive on the right-hand side of the road if you're traveling more slowly than the prevailing or normal speed. It doesn't say you have to keep up if the normal speed is faster than the speed limit.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Gee, it takes 2 sec. And you never know what people put there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

someone like our self-appointed internet speed cop contributed $5 to his reelection fund, on condition he did that.

Reply to
jim beam

then you don't understand what you're reading. translated it means: "slugs keep right or you'll get a ticket for not keeping up, regardless of 'prima facie' posted limits." and my grandmother is multiple testimony to that.

now you go ahead and figure out what prima facie speed limits mean.

Reply to
jim beam

jeepers, you're the kind of guy that would get stuck all day with a milk carton that reads "open other end" on the bottom and "see other end for instructions" on the top.

Reply to
jim beam

That's not it either. It was to save fuel during gas crisis of the '70s. Catalytic converters didn't become common until later, I think the early

80s, although I am not sure. I think unleaded gasoline was phased in during the '70s, but that was because the health hazards of lead. For a long time, you could get both unleaded and leaded fuel at the same pumps (but different hoses - the unleaded gasoline nozzle was thinner as was the hole the nozzle went into, so that you were unlikely to put leaded gasoline into cars that required unleaded gas for the converters).

There is no longer a national speed law.

Well they and rescue squads.

Reply to
Jeff

That law is intended to keep folks from driving 40 on the interstate. It implies that you are to keep up, but without exceeding the speed limit. Have you no common sense?

Reply to
Dan C

Damn, you're dense. Do you think I lived in Alameda and never used the

580 in Oakland? Do you think I didn't use the 280? The 880? The 80? Get a clue, "dude".

More bullshit. In fact that's an absolute lie. The traffic doesn't flow into town at 95. Just not true.

Quit posting bullshit just to try and make your "argument" seem legitimate. You're a friggin liar, and a bad one, at that. FOAD.

Reply to
Dan C

There is no such law on the books here. Exceeding the posted limit is against the law, no exceptions.

Reply to
Brian Smith

But, if that traffic is exceeding the posted Maximum limit, that traffic is breaking the law. It's pretty straightforward.

None of which is applicable when looking at the regulations as stated in the MVA.

No, I don't.

?

It's not only "a bunch of guys" putting the regulations into writing, it's people who know what they're doing showing othe rpeople (who obviously don't know what they're doing) how to drive and operate their vehicles safely with due regard for all the other motorists and pedestrians on the roads.

A law abiding Canadian, thank you. {;^)

With no moving violations since 1983, or incidents of any type for close to two million miles.

Reply to
Brian Smith

The collisions are caused by the people (they call themselves drivers, but are actually only people that hold on to the steering wheel and point and go) that are exceeding the posted limit while not paying attention to the task at hand.

Reply to
Brian Smith

A suspended licence won't pay my bills. You drive your way and I'll keep my licence intact and productive.

Reply to
Brian Smith

No doubt authored by you, Jim.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I guess she needs to move to a place that encourages people to drive within the boundaries of the law.

Reply to
Brian Smith

That's how it reads, Jeff. A common sense translation is probably far too advanced for Jim to comprehend.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Maybe your Grandmother needs to have her licence taken away form her if (as you imply) she is unable to follow the rules of the road.

Reply to
Brian Smith

It was just revealed recently that in a suburb of Detroit, cops will get an hour of overtime for each ticket written over a certain amount.

If that's not a commission, I don't know what is.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

But as pointed out, there is such a law elsewhere.

What does that say about you, Brian?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty