Radar Detector Recomendation

Page 4 of 7  
Tegger wrote:


That's not it either. It was to save fuel during gas crisis of the '70s. Catalytic converters didn't become common until later, I think the early 80s, although I am not sure. I think unleaded gasoline was phased in during the '70s, but that was because the health hazards of lead. For a long time, you could get both unleaded and leaded fuel at the same pumps (but different hoses - the unleaded gasoline nozzle was thinner as was the hole the nozzle went into, so that you were unlikely to put leaded gasoline into cars that required unleaded gas for the converters).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law
There is no longer a national speed law.

Well they and rescue squads.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No,originally,the US 55 NMSL was enacted in 1974 to save gas,after the 1973 OPEC oil crisis.(embargo) (I was wrong;it's the National -Maximum- Speed Limit)

In the US,catalytics were first used in 1975. NMSL predates that.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Yanik wrote:

And required by the US in 1981. The NMSL was touted as an energy saver and then the numbers were cooked to show how much safer everything was... NOT!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Smith wrote:

around my neck of the woods, slowing down to the posted limit would cause a 50 vehicle pile-up - and that's /really/ not intelligent.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:00:55 -0800, jim beam wrote:


Bullshit. Poor attempt at rationalization.
--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan C wrote:

sorry dude, it's not bullshit. you're just so enraged in your argument with dave, you're not thinking straight.
come to the san francisco bay area. 580 oakland is posted 55. if you go much slower than 80 outside of rush hour, you'll cause an accident. it's 4 lanes, bumper to bumper. rush hour is slower - about 35. 280 is posted 65 and 80 is the rule. if you drive the 15 into las vegas from l.a. on a friday night, that's posted 65 and prevailing is about 95. that's bumper to bumper too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:58:54 -0800, jim beam wrote:



Wrong. I'm not "enraged" about anything. You apparently are, which may explain your need to speed on the highways. It's called "road rage".

More bullshit. I lived in Alameda for 6 years, and frequently went to S.F. I also go to Vegas at least 6-8 times a year, and that's just not the truth. Keep trying to rationalize your speeding, though.
--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Speeding is not road rage. Some people are quite calm at 10+ over the limit. Speeding is speeding. Driving angry as a result of something another driver did or you perceive they did, is road rage.

I can't speak to those roads, but I-80 in NJ, if you're not keeping up with traffic you are causing a problem.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Seth wrote:

I-80 NJ to OH, same story. Anyone at 65 is a rolling roadblock.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"speeding" is usually just ignoring an arbitrary number painted on a road sign. No actual relation to road safety.In many urban areas,sticking to the speed limit actually makes things MORE unsafe.It causes traffic to bunch up.That's more unsafe than the "speeding".
I suspect "Dan C." speeds too. ONE mph over the SL -IS- "speeding".

Even police speed,both on-duty and off-duty,even when not needed for work purposes.

Hairballs in the throat of traffic.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:41:05 -0800, jim beam wrote:



Damn, you're dense. Do you think I lived in Alameda and never used the 580 in Oakland? Do you think I didn't use the 280? The 880? The 80? Get a clue, "dude".


More bullshit. In fact that's an absolute lie. The traffic doesn't flow into town at 95. Just not true.
Quit posting bullshit just to try and make your "argument" seem legitimate. You're a friggin liar, and a bad one, at that. FOAD.
--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan C wrote:

whoops.
IF (facts don't agree with entrenched position) THEN (call poster a liar) ELSE (look ridiculous).

see above.
maybe i should post gas station receipts with location and time of purchase on them. you can use google to figure out driving distances can't you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If traffic flowed into town at 95 MPH, there would be a lot of collisions when it reached the first traffic light and the vehicle in front stopped (according to the law) and the people behind didn't due to inattention and the fact that they were breaking the law.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Smith wrote:

sorry brian, that wasn't the case. i was there. i was looking at my speedo. we were all doing the same speed, keeping the same distance. no accidents because there was no speed differential.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm sorry Jim, but someone obeying the law is not the one responsible (take note of that word) for causing the collision(s). The ones responsible for the collision(s) are the people who aren't willing to obey the law.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/8/08 5:09 PM, in article ki5rj.18760$C61.16113@edtnps89, "Brian Smith"

I think I smell one of those guys who camp out in the passing lane self-righteously driving exactly the speed limit, forming a rolling roadblock for everyone behind them. Used to be a lot of that during the 55 mph days. Less now, but still a few left.
Texas passed a "road-rage" law a few years ago that includes a $200 fine for camping out in the passing lane. Regardless of your speed, if you are passed on the right, you have committed the violation. The reason for this: in some cases the one driving the speed limit was the one responsible for causing the collision.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

When you're injured or worse, who care's who is responsible? Hurt is hurt. I'd rather not be hurt. If the prevailing speed is 7 over on a particular highway, I'll do 7 over. Righteous indignation won't cover my ass.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A suspended licence won't pay my bills. You drive your way and I'll keep my licence intact and productive.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Smith wrote:

there's a website just for people like you brian: sanctimoniousclaptrap.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim beam wrote:

I looked for the site. It doesn't exist. However, you're able to make it your own site, if you want.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.