Radar Detector Recomendation

so why the confusion? every argument presented so far contends that they're the same. they're not!

Reply to
jim beam

If it's law to follow the posted signs, then will you shut up when I show you a posted highway sign that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right"?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

:)

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:EpydnceB-YuoRTDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I say we debate the PRACTICAL and not the Idealist position here. Fact is,the police only enforce some arbitrary speed well ABOVE the posted SL(+5 or +10),and you have NO way of knowing what that might be at any given time. Often,it depends on the demeanor *at the time* of the patrolling officer.

Ever since the 55 NMSL,it's been clearly apparent that the *majority* of drivers do NOT obey posted limits,unless there's police actually present or known speed traps. Thus there's a "prevailing speed" (or "true average speed")of the traffic actually present on the roadway.

I-4 in Orlando,everybody knows the usual speed is 70-75 mph for a 55 mph posted limit. and that's IN TOWN,dense traffic! and the hazardous effect from LLBs and rolling roadblocks(RRB?) is clearly apparent.

It's 80 or higher outside of the urban areas.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

we have three rrb's on this thread - and they're all highly sensitive to accidents. could it be that they get to witness lots of them, by some strange coincidence???

Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam" wrote

Not exactly.

Prima Facie Speed Limits:

Numerical speed limits (statutory and posted) that, if exceeded, justify enforcement action. However, if the accused motorist's actions can be proven to be safe, reasonable and prudent for the prevailing conditions, the charge of speeding shall be dismissed by the court of jurisdiction.

Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

Why don't you show him that there is a law in the US that makes it illegal to go less than the prevailing speed even if that is over the posted speed limit?

Answer: You can not.

Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

The law in question was a law that said that you had to go at the prevailing speed limit, even if it is faster than the posted signs.

Of course, you have to stay on the right if you are not passing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It is the law in this state: slower traffic keep right.

The concept does not address the actual speeds in question. It simply says, slower traffic keep right.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not quite. In PA, you cannot be convicted for go less than 10 mph over the limit in 55 mph or slower zone, and 5 mph over the limit in a faster than 55 mph zone.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeap, that means that if you're going 100 mph over the limit, and there is faster traffic, you have to move to the right lane.

Reply to
Jeff

jim beam wrote in news:SuSdnV-ySu2CuDDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

As far as I know, there's no official "quota", but the cops' supervisors have a general idea what to expect when a patrolman is assigned to speed duty. If he comes back with too few tickets, he'd better be able to explain why.

Reply to
Tegger

The argument (which you obviously can't deal with) is that the posted maximum speed limit is as fast as traffic is permitted to travel.

Reply to
Brian Smith

you have willful myopia. i've just come back from shopping, 70 in my crx in a 55 zone. i was going the same speed as everyone else, and guess what kind of vehicle was behind me before i turned off the freeway? [hint: permitted != posted]

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:Z8mdnWuxXKXBfTDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I'm sure they don't get your drift.....

They must be real fun to work around. I've encountered a couple of them at work.They made work harder to do. "oh,you can't do that....." ____ I just did,and the customer is satisfied and happy,and is going to give us more of his business. and when I didn't do some "don't do" things,the customers were unhappy,and business dropped.They went elsewhere.

the key is having the common sense to know when it's possible to deviate from procedure without harm.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Try driving the speed limit or keep it to 5-10 over. You won't have any problems. If you're planning to drive 20+ over the limit, you are a hazard and should be pulled over. Common sense really.

Reply to
Just Me

I contributed to a woman driving in the left lane exactly at the posted speed limit (55) get a ticket. A NY State trouper was right behind her. Of course lots of people were building up behind her because no one wanted to pass the trouper. I on the other hand, think left lane blockers to be scum. So, I sped up to 62 or so and passed the LLB and the trouper. As soon as I passed her, the trouper pulled her over and gave her a ticket. Did my heart good.

BTW, there are very few places that actually care about reducing speeds. There are many ways to do that other than setting stupidly low speed limits (most roads are designed for much higher safe speeds) and then arbitrarily handing out tickets when the city or county coffers need a boost.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Lee Florack wrote in news:47af5b9e$0$1102$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

the Interstates were designed for 70 mph speeds,and that was with 1960's autos. Today's cars are much better and safer.

Sadly,"speeding" has become a revenue source. Many states share the take with the police department writing the ticket. (a conflict of interest) Florida does.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

How could you possibly know that he gave her a ticket? You were already in front, and moving further away. For all you know, she got a warning. This is, of course, assuming your "story" has any truth to it at all.

Such as? Name a few of the "many" methods, wouldja?

Reply to
Dan C

You won't believe it of course, but I didn't expect you would. The story IS true. In any case, the first point is that she was stopped because she was doing something wrong -- even though she was driving exactly at the speed limit. The second point is that although I passed the LLB and the trouper and was indeed driving over the speed limit, I wasn't stopped -- she was. This means that the trouper obviously felt that what she was doing was more dangerous than what I was doing. Thirdly, he stopped her because (in part) she was in the left lane and not keeping up with the flow of traffic -- even though that flow exceeded the posted limit.

First one that comes to mind is a mandatory speed governor. If the governmental agencies can mandate all of the anti-pollution apparatus that we have on our cars today because they're serious about pollution, they certainly could add a speed governor -- if they were at all serious about keeping people from speeding. They aren't so they don't.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be wrong to do but they could if they wanted to.

Reply to
Lee Florack