Radar Detector Recomendation

Page 6 of 7
It was 2/9/2008 07:42 and Brian Smith wrote:

I contributed to a woman driving in the left lane exactly at the posted speed limit (55) get a ticket. A NY State trouper was right behind her. Of course lots of people were building up behind her because no one wanted to pass the trouper. I on the other hand, think left lane blockers to be scum. So, I sped up to 62 or so and passed the LLB and the trouper. As soon as I passed her, the trouper pulled her over and gave her a ticket. Did my heart good.
BTW, there are very few places that actually care about reducing speeds. There are many ways to do that other than setting stupidly low speed limits (most roads are designed for much higher safe speeds) and then arbitrarily handing out tickets when the city or county coffers need a boost.

the Interstates were designed for 70 mph speeds,and that was with 1960's autos. Today's cars are much better and safer.
Sadly,"speeding" has become a revenue source. Many states share the take with the police department writing the ticket. (a conflict of interest) Florida does.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:16:27 -0500, Lee Florack wrote:

How could you possibly know that he gave her a ticket? You were already in front, and moving further away. For all you know, she got a warning. This is, of course, assuming your "story" has any truth to it at all.

Such as? Name a few of the "many" methods, wouldja?

It was 2/10/2008 17:23 and Dan C wrote:

You won't believe it of course, but I didn't expect you would. The story IS true. In any case, the first point is that she was stopped because she was doing something wrong -- even though she was driving exactly at the speed limit. The second point is that although I passed the LLB and the trouper and was indeed driving over the speed limit, I wasn't stopped -- she was. This means that the trouper obviously felt that what she was doing was more dangerous than what I was doing. Thirdly, he stopped her because (in part) she was in the left lane and not keeping up with the flow of traffic -- even though that flow exceeded the posted limit.

First one that comes to mind is a mandatory speed governor. If the governmental agencies can mandate all of the anti-pollution apparatus that we have on our cars today because they're serious about pollution, they certainly could add a speed governor -- if they were at all serious about keeping people from speeding. They aren't so they don't.
Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be wrong to do but they could if they wanted to.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:22:01 -0500, Lee Florack wrote:

Like I already said...., how do you know she got a ticket? You don't. OK, she got pulled over. That doesn't mean she got a ticket. She may have gotten a verbal warning. You absolutely do not *KNOW* that she got a ticket. Being stopped does not always result in a ticket being written. You didn't know that?

Well, that's "one". I asked for a "few" of the "many". Let me ask you this: If such a thing was done, how long do you think it would take the mechanically-inclined to learn how to get around it?
Try again, junior.

Dan C wrote:

why do you get so offended dan? people share their real life experiences, yet you just rage against it. why?
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:17:32 -0800, jim beam wrote:

LOL. Yeah. OK, so you can't debate the issue using factual information, and when asked to answer relevant questions, you write the above.
Got it. I'd say the "dysfunction" is yours, and I've wasted enough time with you. Go play in traffic (pun intended).

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:01:41 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

Well, that right there says a lot about your character.
You're as clueless as the other moron.

It was 2/11/2008 09:42 and Dan C wrote:

Aren't you just a pleasant guy?

Lee,I advise using the killfile.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dan's one of those highly consistent guys... He's consistently disliked in every group that he bothers...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
It was 2/10/2008 22:18 and Dan C wrote:

I see you ignored everything else I wrote.

Junior? I'm pretty sure you'd be surprised.
Anyway, you didn't ask if I'd like it (I don't). You didn't ask if it's work for everybody (it won't). What we have now (cops enforcing arbitrary speed limits when they feel like it) doesn't slow people down either. When the vast majority of drivers -- who are otherwise law-abiding citizens -- routinely exceed the posted limits there's something wrong with the existing laws and their method of enforcement.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:14:20 -0500, Lee Florack

This is sort of correct but no need for a radar detector. I was taught in driver education that:
1) You go at the speed that everyone else is going no matter what the speed limit is, or you are the road hazard.
2) If people are passing you on the right means that you're in the wrong lane.
This is simply common sense and curtesy. People going 80 when everyone else is going 70 are going to cause problems, as are people going 55. What you refer to as cops being arbitrary is mostly them using commmon sense and hauling over the folks causing problems that can be fatal.

Amen. That's one of the few bits of common sense I've seen in this thread. Your point number one, by the way, is also what I was taught in driver education.

OR,you keep to the rightmost lane. KRETP/STKR.

In every US state,the leftmost lane is not for cruising,it's for passing.
LANE DISCIPLINE,folks. it works on the Autobahn.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Works? Hell, it's the LAW.
If you fail lane discipline on the Autobahn and are caught doing so, your punishment makes dealing crack down on Main Street look like nothing.

I can see,after cars get mandatory speed limit sign interrogators(that read the programmed SL from the sign,tied into the cars electronics),some hacker spoofing the SL signal and slowing everybody down to 10 mph on the expressway at rush hour,and having a lot of yuks over it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

///snipped///
At the very real risk of enraging "potty mouth Dan", I would ask. "How do you know she wasn't ticketed?"...You don't. You weren't there either. Ergo, The OPs story is no less valid than your criticism thereof... FWIW - there are several stretches of road in Alaska, southeast out of Anchorage along Turnagin Arm, where it is illegal to have more than five (5) vehicles backed up behind you. Regardless of your speed, you might be cited for "impeding the flow of traffic"... As with any traffic law or regulation, the enforcement depends a great deal upon the given situation at the time and whether or not the officer got any the night before.....Which brings me to another point about driving too slowly. California Traffic Code states that you may be ticketed for impeding the normal flow of traffic.

This has been done already with some commercial vehicles. Many OTR buses and trucks are equipped with "rev limiters" which de facto limit your speed. However, these limiters have caused some problems and are going out of general use. They have been replaced by GPS systems which let the company dispatcher know at what speed the vehicle is travelling. Of course, most of you here already know that.
Last item - Does everyone remember why the nationwide speed limit of 55mph was put into effect? Not for safety but rather it was an energy conservation strategy. ///snipped///
Dave and Trudy wrote:

it's not the rev limiter that restricts speed - /all/ diesels have rev limiters, [so do all fuel injected cars], it's whether there's an actual speed limiter. i believe, as you say, that there are some vehicles that are restricted like articulated buses, but i don't know what that speed is. fuel injected hondas have speed limiters, but that limit is much higher than legal.

The National Maximum Speed Limit,or NMSL; it had the Unintended Consequences of making the highways more unsafe and destroying lane discipline. it really brought out the MFFY in drivers.
Also,it's a fine example of how speed limits are not set for safe travel,but often for other,political reasons.

either way,ticketed or warning,getting pulled over by a patrol car and lectured by the officer is not enjoyable. ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik