Radar Detector Recomendation

Page 7 of 7
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

A RADAR detector won't keep you safe. Safe driving will.
Jeff
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

But the Blinder system works well against LIDAR! I rode with a buddy who has a radar detector and a Blinder system installed in his vehicle and the Blinder went nuts while his radar/laser detector didn't even show that he was being clocked by a motorcycle cop.
Butch Haynes wrote:

Hi, I never saw perfect one or dependable one. More like a nuisance causing distraction. Just dirve sensibly. In my driving days, I had one ocasion where detecotr prewarned radar ahead, then did not matter any way, I was not speeding. If you have money to spend on radar detecotr, I'd get a GPS unit(more helpful).

Lemme see if I got this right. Based on the fact that the one time your radar detector went off you weren't speeding, you recommend that I should install a device that tells me my exact location instead of warning me of a cop's speed gun? Huh??
Butch Haynes wrote:

Hmmm, What I meant was spending money on GPS may be wiser than on detector. Today there are so much eoctronics noise every where, detector goes off on false signals so much.

The problem is that they do not warn you all that well. If the cop is using K, Ka or X Band radar, you MIGHT get a slight warning if the cop just has the gun running full-time. BUT, if he is using it properly (instant on), you have no chance, as he won't clock you until he observes that you might be speeding.
Also, if he is using Laser (lidar), you get no warning EVER. If the detector goes off, it means he just clocked your car, and already knows exactly how fast you are going.
And if they are monitoring speed from the air, you'll never get an alert, but you'll still get a ticket.
If after all that, you still want to piss away money, buy the best, as it is your only chance of getting some semblance of early warning in scenario 1...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

But if you're driving properly--anonymously--and letting the rabbits run ahead, you get the warning from the cop hitting the idiots and losers who are happy to rabbit for you. Then you can safely slow down from 75-80 back to 65-70 before you go past that particular cop.
This works whether the cop is using instant on or is running it full time.
Speeding without tickets isn't just about a radar detector; it's a system. Please note that the above works only when you're doing it properly, in a pack. If you're out on the highway alone with little traffic, with nowhere to hide and no rabbits ahead, just slow down.

In a pack is the least of the times I want to drive fast. I generally drive fast during the times that the cops don't mind. If I am driving late at night or on a road with little to no traffic, I drive a bit faster. On a busier highway, I stick to 5-7 over the limit, and the police are fine with that.
I drive an 06 Si, am 35 years old, and have never had a speeding ticket. Not that it won't happen eventually, but I try hard to drive with some common sense, and it seems to work...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Perzactly! Well put.

no, it didn't prewarn; it warned.
There is no such word as "prewarn".

Well, dumbass, once again you're wrong:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prewarn
Prewarn \Pre*warn"\, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Prewarned; p. pr. & vb. n. Prewarning.] To warn beforehand; to forewarn. [R.]
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
No be a man and apologize to Tony.
Let's see what you're *really* made of...
Polfus

Oh yeah, wikis and online "dictionaries" are what I base my life on, sure.
No apology required, because there's no such word as "prewarn".

Amazing how many people waste their time, and yours, and newsgroup space, responding but NOT answering your question. A few years ago I would have recommended Bell, but now - Valentine is the only one worth considering.
Bob
rjdriver wrote:

The OP asked for specific recommendations. I gave him mine: Don't speed.
Jeff wrote:

given that the title of this thread is "radar detector recommendation", we have to assume from your answer that "don't speed" is a brand. but i can't find that one at my local radar detector retailer. do you care to say where they are sold? sanctimoniousclaptrap.com perhaps?

To those fine folks who answered the question I asked, thanks for the good advice and suggestions! To the rest of you sophomores-- OK children, recess is over, go back to your homerooms now...
Try driving the speed limit or keep it to 5-10 over. You won't have any problems. If you're planning to drive 20+ over the limit, you are a hazard and should be pulled over. Common sense really.

Butch Haynes wrote:

JUst buy which ever one you want and can afford. A radar detector will not save you! The cop, when he's running radar on you, switches it on when your about 100 yards from him, he gets your speed at that instant. Speeding then, you better just except the ticket.
Remember :- When you go fishing, do you catch all the fish? Applies to Cops running Radar as well:)

If you use it properly,yes it will. Not ALWAYS,but usually.

if you close to within 100 yards of a cop and are still speeding(detector or not),you DESERVE a ticket.
the only detector I will recommend is the Valentine V-1. I still have my Escort and Uniden detectors,in a box in the closet. they both paid for themselves in ticket avoidances,BTW.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik