radio/cd player wont turn off

Hi I have been having this problem for more than 3 years. Sometime when I turn the radio or the CD player on it starts to work but then I wont be able to
turn it off even when i turn the car off. The only way to turn it off, is to take the -ve cable of the battery out. Then when I turn the radio on it will ask me to enter the code and once I enter the code it will start worki ng but then wont turn off again. I also noticed the Kilometer reader, the u pper part of numbers are faded! not sure if that is related to the radio is sue. Any idea what is going on? My Honda is 2001 Civic sedan.
Thanks a lot.

The simple thing to do is to replace the thing. They are inexpensive now and since the new ones play mp3s from a card, you don't need cds. Just dump it and get a new one.