Radio Serial Number

When I bought my TL the previous owner lost the RADIO anti-theft code and doesn't remember putting the number label anywhere in the car. According to
the FAQ (expert service bulletin 98-026) Honda recommends putting the radio serial number on the outer left surface of the Glove Box . I found a label with a 8 digit # preceded by a "B" there. Is this it or is this # something else?
--
-

Probably not. It is something else. Most codes are 5 digits. Did you check the owners manual? Do you know what dealer sold the car and did you call them and ask them if they have record of it? If not, you'll have to remove the radio and the serial number on your radio is submitted to Honda via the dealers computer communication to Honda and you'll get the code. Howard

Ron Jones wrote:

---------------------
You've found the serial number. Call the dealer with your VIN and that number. They will ask a few skill-testing questions and give you your code. Write the code on the inside of the fuse box lid, and in your Owner's Manual.
Put it in your Palm device so you can SEARCH for it :-)
'Curly'
I called the previous owner's dealer and he gave me the radio code from that number. He didn't even ask the VIN because I could give him the last owners name (I guess).
Thanks

I did the same thing with a 2002 Honda Civic. The original dealership was referenced on literature in the glove box, I called the service department, gave them the VIN, and 2 minutes later I had my 5 digit code. Better than pulling the stereo for a number, although the owners manual describes a sequence for getting the stereo to reveal the S/N if the anti-theft protection is enabled. (I didn't dare test it to find out)

Be aware, everyone, that the radio code isn't looked up by VIN. It's looked up by radio serial number. This is because the radio could have been swapped out, for example, for a warranty claim or something. There's no guarantee that the radio that went into the car at the factory is still in the car today.
That's American Honda's system. Every dealership has access to American Honda's system, to lookup a radio code by the radio serial number.
If a dealership is able to look it up by VIN, it's only because that particular dealership kept those records at the time of sale.
My salesman has that information on 3x5 cards for the convenience of his customers, because his dealership doesn't do anything like that overall.
Most people these days just install after market stereos anyways. Even though you don't have the code, the stereo can still be removed right?