Re: 03 Accord 4cyl. Timing belt

"Steve L" wrote

>>I might replace the 98 Accord in below that needs paint and engine >>work with another one. I've been looking around at used cars. I >>found a 03 Accord LX 4 cyl. with 85K on it at the local dealer. It's >>clean, a few minor surfaces scratches, gold on tan interior and a 1 >>local owner. The dealer told me he was going to give me $800 below >>KBB. Then he told me KBB was 11.8K for this car. I came home and >>checked KBB and the book is 10.5 max if you call it outstanding >>condition. > > This dealer is a jerk. I know dealers today who follow actual KBB > values and do not pussyfoot around. Tell him $10.4 not counting > sales tax and let him call you back or not. If he does KBB's price, > agree. Tell him you will walk if there are any add-ons. 10.4 (or > KBB's price) out the door w/o tax or else. >

Exactly, I did just that this morning. Asked him "do I have sucker written on my forehead" and said that I liked the idea of $800 off KBB so he should be giving me the smae $800 of the right KBB and also he should give me KBB for my 98 which is still 2K (not the 1K he insulted me with).

Then I haven't tol him yet, but once he gives me those figures, (or I walk) I'll let him know it is going to be a cash transaction and there won't be any finacing in charge. I am also interested in getting the 2 year extended warranty, which thye want $1300 for. I'm thinking telling them I'll pay $650 for that and then settling on about $800, does that sound right? I'm guessing they have 100% margin on that stuff?

Gas prices are low. Even Honda is hurting big time for business > right now given the state of the economy. He has no room like he is > proposing. > > Meanwhile, call all the Honda dealers in your area and let them know > you are looking for a recent year (auto transmission?) Accord with > under 100k miles. They will start calling you as they are traded in. > Many car dealerships also put their used cars on their web sites, so > check these too. > > How did you get the prior owner's name? > > I learned autocheck.com is a bit superior (and less expensive) than > carfax.com. > > You can try craigslist.org for your area, too, but I would get the > VIN immediately and seek a one-owner car. It may take some time to > find one of your requirements on Craigslist. >
Reply to
Steve L

do the math on financing, then paying it off once you're out the door rather than just cash.

sales dudes don't care for cash because if you finance, they get commission on the sale /and/ the finance, not just the sale. if there is no pre-payment penalty, or just a small one, your discount can exceed your "finance" costs.

Reply to
jim beam

"Steve L" wrote

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "turn-around." I would not waste time arguing with them about what condition they think your old Honda is in. Consider the input here and at KBB, reject it or not, then stand firm on whatever price you want. After the first round if they do not seem to respond with reasonableness, then walk. Being able to walk is your biggest bargaining chip, especially in tough financial times. Do not get attached to this one Accord. Becoming unreasonably attached is the biggest trip-up to getting a fair price.

Your bookworm does not know how to drive. You gotta dig deep and ask how on earth he could cause a gash in the oil pan. This just does not happen without major abuse. 1.5 cents.

Reply to
Elle