Re: 03 Accord 4cyl. Timing belt

wrote

Exactly, I did just that this morning. Asked him "do I have sucker written on my forehead" and said that I liked the idea of $800 off KBB so he should be giving me the smae $800 of the right KBB and also he should give me KBB for my 98 which is still 2K (not the 1K he insulted me with).
Then I haven't tol him yet, but once he gives me those figures, (or I walk) I'll let him know it is going to be a cash transaction and there won't be any finacing in charge. I am also interested in getting the 2 year extended warranty, which thye want $1300 for. I'm thinking telling them I'll pay $650 for that and then settling on about $800, does that sound right? I'm guessing they have 100% margin on that stuff?

Steve L wrote:

do the math on financing, then paying it off once you're out the door rather than just cash.
sales dudes don't care for cash because if you finance, they get commission on the sale /and/ the finance, not just the sale. if there is no pre-payment penalty, or just a small one, your discount can exceed your "finance" costs.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "turn-around." I would not waste time arguing with them about what condition they think your old Honda is in. Consider the input here and at KBB, reject it or not, then stand firm on whatever price you want. After the first round if they do not seem to respond with reasonableness, then walk. Being able to walk is your biggest bargaining chip, especially in tough financial times. Do not get attached to this one Accord. Becoming unreasonably attached is the biggest trip-up to getting a fair price.
Your bookworm does not know how to drive. You gotta dig deep and ask how on earth he could cause a gash in the oil pan. This just does not happen without major abuse. 1.5 cents.