Re: 1990 civic quits occasionally

michael moorman <mpm> wrote in

Do the dash lights come on when the car dies?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Is it likely that a failing coil would produce the loss of power immediately before dying? Where is the coil on a 90 civic? Since the car and the car manual are in Ok, I cant look for myself. I replaced the igniter 10 or so years ago, Think that I replaced the condenser at the same time. Guess that I should tell my daughter to get one of those flashing neon spark indicators to see if there is a spark.
thanks, mpm

"michael moorman" <mpm> wrote in message

I'm not as familiar with the Honda ignition parts as others here, but mid-80s Volvos often gave these symptoms when the ignitor was poorly heat sunk; loss of power followed by stalling. Remounting the ignitor on a cleaned surface with fresh heat sink compound was the cure for that.
If the ignition is failing the tach will drop before the engine speed does, and the tach will not "kick" a couple times a second when the engine is cranked.
Mike