Re: 1994 Honda Civic won't start

Thanks all, this is great info.

I'll definitely try the 15-second test before replacing the distributor parts.

I got this car in Nov 1994 and suspect most of these parts are nearly that old -- other than the plugs.

Any recommendations on sources for original Honda parts? I prefer go to local shops like Lappens and NAPA, which mostly sell 3d party parts like Beck Arnley distributor parts.

Thanks again.

Reply to
hutchtoo

If you end up replacing ignition components, replace them with OEM Honda: using aftermarket is just asking for trouble.

Reply to
Remco

Are you in a hurry?

If not, I recommend

(in California). Great drawings to find your parts. All OEM. Good service, based on my one order from them so far. Your parts should arrive within ten days or even a week.

It's been reported here that some dealers (parts dept.) will give you

's prices if you come to them with a printout of prices from slhonda.

Also, Curly's point is a good one, by the way, AFAIC. On the other hand, the distributor, wire, and plug parts mentioned earlier all have to be changed out every few years anyway, so it's not like you're throwing money away. (Some folks are saying OEM Honda wires last a really long time, though... )

"hutchtoo" wrote

Reply to
Elle

The genuine distributor cap seal is about a dollar and last much longer. Napa probably sell an aftermarket one for $3. Only replace it when the seal feels stiff, cracking or flattened. Dielectric grease is about $3 to $5 at Napa. A rag to wipe out the moisture is free. Wipe everything from coil to the spark plugs. WD-40 will also absorb the moisture.

Remove the spark plug wire from the socket and apply a small amount of dielectric tune up grease to the insulator, apply some to the distributor cap where there are gaps.

Use your finger to spread the dielectric grease around the ceramic portion of the spark plug to help maintain a dry environment for the plugs. If you need help go here.

For the paranoid, spray a silicone film on the plug wires and cap to further insulate from moisture.

Reply to
B Squareman