Re: 2000 Honda accord will not shift out of park

2000 Honda accord will not shift out of park. I have to depress make

> brake pedal until I feel the click then I am able to shift into gear>

. The break light and transmission interlock are usually combined into one unit behind the brake pedal. Not sure if it was that way in the 2000, but it's a relatively easy DIY repair if it is. The part should be less than $20.00, even at a dealer. There's a chance your brake lights are not functioning properly also if the unit is failing. I wouldn't wait too long to fix it. It's only likely to get worse, and then you won't be able to shift at all. There should be a manual override in the console somewhere, if it absolutely wont come out of park.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

That sounds like the part that failed when I had a new 2003 Accord. I remember I brought it into the dealer for something else when it happened so I lucked out and had it fixed at the same time but had to wait an extra 2 hours (to get the part and installed under the warrantee).

Reply to
observer

That's how I learned about it as well. The one on my 2003 Accord failed. And it failed very gradually, randomly, and annoyingly, having to jiggle the shift several times to get it our of park, The graduating to jiggling it for 5 minutes to get it out. Then having my neighbor call me at 10 pm to say I had left my lights on, only to discover that it was just the brake lights that were on.

A little research on the internet and a question at this NG lead my to buy a new brake light switch for $12.00 at the dealer, and it solved the problem.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver