Re: 2008 minivans: Honda Odyssey vs Toyota Sienna

Page 3 of 5

I don't own a website, besides, why should I have to provide proof, I buy my gas there, if someone does not believe me why should I care. I don't know these people from Adam.

Not disbelief, moreso curiosity. I am OK either way. Tomes
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:34:43 -0500, dbu wrote:

I'm not going to provide a valid email address here... As someone else stated, a link here will allow others to see this magical sign, too.
Go to this site below, upload your image as directed (very easy), and it will provide you a link/URL that you can paste into a post here. Simple.
http://imageshack.us /

But why should I go to that trouble when you will only come back and say I doctored up the photo. If you don't believe me now why should I expect you to believe me when I post a picture someplace. Besides, I don't care if you believe me or not.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:57:20 -0500, dbu wrote:

It's no harder to upload a pic to there than it is to email it to me.
The fact that you're reluctant to do so pretty much confirms what I'm saying.

The price today is $3.96.9 for regular, (87) and $3.97.9 for super (89) per U.S. gal. They have no price signs posted only at the pump. So there ya go Dan.
BTW how old are you and what part of the country do you live in?

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/gasoline_grades.html
Definitions of Gasoline Grades The classification of gasoline by octane ratings. Each type of gasoline (conventional, oxygenated, and reformulated) is classified by three grades - Regular, Midgrade, and Premium. Note: Gasoline sales are reported by grade in accordance with their classification at the time of sale. In general, automotive octane requirements are lower at high altitudes. Therefore, in some areas of the United States, such as the Rocky Mountain States, the octane ratings for the gasoline grades may be 2 or more octane points lower.
Regular Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than or equal to 85 and less than 88. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.
Midgrade Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than or equal to 88 and less than or equal to 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.
Premium Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.

You must be joking now... Many cars require 91 Octane. I can't imagine a gas station in the country not offering it, let alone an entire region...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

We live in the great Northwest, that's the way it is, 87 and 89, a penny difference.

Howdy,
Why not send the phone number to just one person?
Surely the station would not be inconveniences by a single call.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

dbu, 7/19/2008,4:41:44 PM, wrote:

dbu, I think this all stems from the use of the word "super" to describe midgrade gasoline. Most of us use "super" when referring to the highest grade however it is probably more correct to call it "premium" and I am guessing that is what you know 91-93 octane gasoline as. I can believe you have a station that would charge a penney more for 89 octane gas, especially if it is an independent station where it receives its supply from a local refiner. You don't have to defend yourself or prove anything since it is obvious they won't believe you even if you did post a picture. They will accuse you of doctoring it or having the owner change the prices just for your picture.
--
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones
you want to concentrate on." ~ George W. Bush

Sure, I agree. Where the problem lies is their inability to read and decipher what I said. That is not my problem. I posted the octane numbers, but it seemed to be ignored. The station called it "super" and "regular", 89 and 87 respectively, one penny difference. It is an independent supplier. I don't know of any station in this area that sells 93 octane gas, one I know of that sells 91 octane, but that is non-oxygenated fuel for use in lawnmowers and the like and illegal to use in cars and trucks unless they are licensed antique, per state law.
Thanks for the help, but I don't think it will convince these narrow minded knot heads.

I read through this thread with amusement and I believe dbu. There is a Sunoco gas station here in Baltimore County, MD. It was on York Road, by Seminary Avenue in an area called Lutherville. They sell Premium at the same cost as mid grade. It used to be a Mobile station before they changed maybe over a year ago, but apparently same owner since they were doing this when they were a Mobile station. They have mechanics bays and a very small convenience section.
Why do they do this? Don't know - maybe to get people to buy gas, get to know them and maybe have their car worked on by the mechanic? I don't ask, but used to buy gas there in my previous car when I used premium. Also had the car worked on by the mechanic before. He's a decent mechanic. If you're ever in the area and want to see for yourself, swing by. They've been doing this at least for the past 5 years. And no, I'm not going to take a picture - not worth the time, but it is a brand name gas.
-Dave
"Dave L" ...

Back when I was in HS and College I worked at a Shell station in Middletown NJ. This was at the time gas was about 50 cents per gallon. Whenever we ran out of regular [and it happened many times] we were instructed to lower the price of premium down to the regular price so the customers wer not pissed off that we had none of their gas. They were always really happy about this. This was when the price was regular, 2 cent more for midgrade and 4 cent more for premium. Tomes

Yup, I remember when the spread between regular and premium was much smaller than now. When did gas stations start coming out with mid-grade? I thought it was more recent than the gas being 50 cents.
-Dave
"Dave L" ...

the unleaded right when unleaded came out, and the regular and premium were leaded. This was 1975-8ish. Tomes

Ya got me there. I can't remember what the pumps were that far back. I wasn't even hear driving yet!
-Dave

Actually, that's my main problem with his "story". I can't imagine a region ANYWHERE that doesn't have 91/93 octane fuel, as dbu states. That would mean that people like me can't drive there, as the fuel isn't high enough octane for my car...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

I'm not saying there is none, I'm saying that I have not seen any except for the non-oxygenated premium fuel for lawn mowers etc and classic cars. You would have to look and plan ahead I guess.
What kind of car do you drive that requires such a high octane, Piper or Cessina maybe? I don't think you'll have any problem finding av-gas at 110 octane.

A requirement of 91 Octane is fairly normal for a great variety of high performance vehicles. I drive a Civic Si. It is but one of many with such a requirement...