Re: 2008 minivans: Honda Odyssey vs Toyota Sienna

Actually, in at least some modern cars, premium gas can improve mileage and performance. Cars with knock sensors will advance the timing with higher octane fuel. The more advanced timing will improve fuel economy and performance. I know that at least some Honda engines do this, not sure about Toyota. The improvement is small and wouldn't justify the extra 20 cents.

It is hard to believe that anybody is selling Premium for a penny more than regular. How is the intermediate grade priced?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

No intermediate, just 87 and 89.

Reply to
dbu

Who said anything about going 65 when it's slippery out?

Reply to
dbu

We live in the great Northwest, that's the way it is, 87 and 89, a penny difference.

Reply to
dbu

Howdy,

Why not send the phone number to just one person?

Surely the station would not be inconveniences by a single call.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

You did. Read your posts.

Reply to
Joe

dbu, I think this all stems from the use of the word "super" to describe midgrade gasoline. Most of us use "super" when referring to the highest grade however it is probably more correct to call it "premium" and I am guessing that is what you know 91-93 octane gasoline as. I can believe you have a station that would charge a penney more for 89 octane gas, especially if it is an independent station where it receives its supply from a local refiner. You don't have to defend yourself or prove anything since it is obvious they won't believe you even if you did post a picture. They will accuse you of doctoring it or having the owner change the prices just for your picture.

Reply to
badgolferman

Sure, I agree. Where the problem lies is their inability to read and decipher what I said. That is not my problem. I posted the octane numbers, but it seemed to be ignored. The station called it "super" and "regular", 89 and 87 respectively, one penny difference. It is an independent supplier. I don't know of any station in this area that sells 93 octane gas, one I know of that sells 91 octane, but that is non-oxygenated fuel for use in lawnmowers and the like and illegal to use in cars and trucks unless they are licensed antique, per state law.

Thanks for the help, but I don't think it will convince these narrow minded knot heads.

Reply to
dbu

Actually, that's my main problem with his "story". I can't imagine a region ANYWHERE that doesn't have 91/93 octane fuel, as dbu states. That would mean that people like me can't drive there, as the fuel isn't high enough octane for my car...

Reply to
Joe

I'm not saying there is none, I'm saying that I have not seen any except for the non-oxygenated premium fuel for lawn mowers etc and classic cars. You would have to look and plan ahead I guess.

What kind of car do you drive that requires such a high octane, Piper or Cessina maybe? I don't think you'll have any problem finding av-gas at

110 octane.
Reply to
dbu

It is possible a small town in the boondocks with low population to not have what the rest of us have become accustomed to. I live in SE Virginia and when travelling across the state I see many small towns with gas stations I do not recognize. Merchants tend to stock what their clientele use. For those of us who are used to tons of choices life in a small town can be quite an adjustment.

Reply to
badgolferman

A requirement of 91 Octane is fairly normal for a great variety of high performance vehicles. I drive a Civic Si. It is but one of many with such a requirement...

Reply to
Joe

Ok, but seems to me there was a few years ago, octane number varied according to ethanol mix or not, I just don't remember. Nobody that I know uses 91 octane. If there was 20 cents difference between reg and premium or as my favorite station calls it "super" then I would buy regular, but it's not. When I visit the next state over their fuel prices tend to be higher especially along the interstate. I always buy regular because of the price difference.

Reply to
dbu

I may have seen 89 may be called super in some areas, but not here. It's midgrade, and 91 is super.

-- Todd H.

2008 Sienna LE (AL QF RL TO CF) Chicago, Illinois USA
Reply to
Todd H.

Hi, I just came back from Baltic cruise. Over there in Northern europe gas has two grade, Octane 92 or 95. Lot of small peppy cars on the street which my need higher Octane gasoline. Worst price was in Denmark, over

3.00 per liter. Up here in Canada it's Regular(87), Premium(89) and Super(92)
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Remember, Europe uses a different octane rating - there are two systems. And the US averages the Research Octane and Motor Octane results to get the number we put on the pump.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You're sure it's in that order?

Reply to
badgolferman

Consumer Reports says Sienna gets 19 in mixed driving just like my Odyssey. Unfortunately I drive mostly around town in it and not on highway so it averages Odyssey averages 17. Meanwhile my wife gets easily 34 in Camry hybrid, city or highway, just as EPA figures indicated.

Reply to
Art

Figures match my 2006 Odyssey perfectly.

It may get that on a long trip, but for day-to-day driving...

From Consumer guide Automotive

Forget the EPA. Consumer Guide's auto editors drove 150,000 miles last year. We drove to work, to day care, to the grocery store, and on vacation. We drove through record heat, blinding snow, driving rain, and confounding road construction, keeping track of every drop of fuel we used along the way.

The EPA admits its fuel economy numbers are estimates. Our numbers are real. A typical Consumer Guide test car is evaluated by at least four editors, all of whom account for their individual fuel usage. Here are the vehicles in each class that used the least amount of fuel while in our care.

Honda Odyssey-16.4 MPG

Toyota Sienna-16.4 MPG

Consumer Reports faired a little better with 19 MPG.

As one poster noted about the Odyssey

"my normal gas mileage is 17 mpg in the city and 24.5-25 mpg on the highway. I've gotten as low as 15 mpg in the winter here (10% ethanol fuel) and as high as 27.1 mpg on the highway (traveling by myself with just two suitcases). I keep my tires at 37 psi, which is what made my gas mileage increase by 1-2 mpg."

Another noted about his Sienna " I drive 80MPH and still get 24 MPG" which I will dismiss as total BS.

Reply to
Art

My Odyssey has a onboard computer that I verify every fill up. It gets 17 around city. Never better around town. End I have the more efficient engine that turns off 3 cylinders during coasting. I believe they may have a new version that can turn off 4 cyclinders in the Accord. Not sure if it is in the Odyssey though.

Reply to
Art