Re: 2008 minivans: Honda Odyssey vs Toyota Sienna

Page 4 of 5

Ok, but seems to me there was a few years ago, octane number varied according to ethanol mix or not, I just don't remember. Nobody that I know uses 91 octane. If there was 20 cents difference between reg and premium or as my favorite station calls it "super" then I would buy regular, but it's not. When I visit the next state over their fuel prices tend to be higher especially along the interstate. I always buy regular because of the price difference.

Joe, 7/19/2008,9:22:46 PM, wrote:

It is possible a small town in the boondocks with low population to not have what the rest of us have become accustomed to. I live in SE Virginia and when travelling across the state I see many small towns with gas stations I do not recognize. Merchants tend to stock what their clientele use. For those of us who are used to tons of choices life in a small town can be quite an adjustment.

Actually, I was in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, and all the gas there seemed to be a couple of points lower in octane than what I'm used to in Texas. I don't know why -- something to do with the altitude, maybe? Alas, I have no photos to support my assertion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating explains that lower octane works OK in high altitude.
-- Ron

I may have seen 89 may be called super in some areas, but not here. It's midgrade, and 91 is super.
-- Todd H. 2008 Sienna LE (AL QF RL TO CF) Chicago, Illinois USA
Todd H. wrote:

Hi, I just came back from Baltic cruise. Over there in Northern europe gas has two grade, Octane 92 or 95. Lot of small peppy cars on the street which my need higher Octane gasoline. Worst price was in Denmark, over 3.00 per liter. Up here in Canada it's Regular(87), Premium(89) and Super(92)

Remember, Europe uses a different octane rating - there are two systems. And the US averages the Research Octane and Motor Octane results to get the number we put on the pump.
--<< Bruce >>--
Tony Hwang, 7/20/2008,11:24:58 AM, wrote:

You're sure it's in that order?
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:55:44 -0500, Dan C

Actually, in at least some modern cars, premium gas can improve mileage and performance. Cars with knock sensors will advance the timing with higher octane fuel. The more advanced timing will improve fuel economy and performance. I know that at least some Honda engines do this, not sure about Toyota. The improvement is small and wouldn't justify the extra 20 cents.
It is hard to believe that anybody is selling Premium for a penny more than regular. How is the intermediate grade priced?

No intermediate, just 87 and 89.

Supposedly the ethanol is in there to "oxygenate" the fuel (ethanol contains oxygen, gasoline doesn't) in order to make it burn cleaner. Refiners used to add something called MTBE to gas for this purpose, but the MTBE ended up leaking out of tanks and contaminating groundwater, hence the switch.
Ethanol does have a lower energy density than gasoline, so you can expect to see slightly poorer mileage with fuel containing ethanol than with non-ethanol fuell.
If I could get "premium" for a penny more per gallon than regular, I'd use premium too. In more than 35 years of driving, I've never seen that.
I'd love to have a gas station that only charges 1 cent more for super, as my Audi uses that (although I do mix in a tank of 'plus' on a regular basis. I can't notice much difference in performance or mileage).
My Odyssey EX averages just under 17 mpg in town and I have gotten as high as 25 on the highway - the usual is 23. That's generally with a pretty loaded car (5 people plus dog and luggage) and the cruise set for 76-ish. I'm happy with that. Our old Ford Crapstar used to get 15 in town, 20 on the highway and was a piece of shit besides. ;-)
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
In article

I just talked to my buddy who has a 08 Ody which uses only three cylinders while on longer trips and he said he gets 32.5 MPG but that was using S.D. premium gas, wind at back and driving the speed limit, 65 mph with a steady foot. Sadly, today so many people have a very heavy foot, I see it all the time in city traffic and on the long highway trips. If drivers would learn to drive like they have an egg under the gas pedal and hold the speed down to 65 or so, they would see much better gas mileage, also keep those tires inflated.

What steady foot? That's what cruise control is for.

Not when it's slippery.

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.autos.honda.]

Huh?
If it's too slippery out to use cruise control on the highway, it is too slippery to be going 65 MPH.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Who said anything about going 65 when it's slippery out?

You did. Read your posts.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Is your email address good? If so I'll try and get you a picture.

dbu;
You don't have to answer every post, this is a newsgroup not an AOL chat room.