Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden

>charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of >various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for >newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out >
there is more information on>this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for>those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be>of help to some.

In Texas the "hidden" fee isn't so hidden. It's called the "DOC" fee, short for documentary. It is the (imo usurious) amount the dealer charges for performing the title registration paperwork. They also drag their heels on it and many dealers only do titles 1 day out of the month. Thus they have your tax, title & tag fees plus the "doc" fee, all of which they are holding and using or earning interest on until the spirit finally moves them to file the paperwork. Meanwhile you're driving around on a

21-day temporary tag which in most cases is expired at least 7-10 days before you actually receive your tags.

DOC fees vary, but average $75. The dealer will tell you the fee is mandatory, which it isn't. You are free to do all the title work yourself and take it to a Notary, pay the Notary $5 and go on your merry way.

Reply to
Bubba