Re: fair price for ball joint replacement?

martin lynch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

>> martin lynch wrote in >> news:09842c8d-26dc-434c-bf03 > - >> snipped-for-privacy@w40g2000yqd.googlegroups.com: >> >> > I was quoted $600 for replacing both front ball joints on my 2001 >> > Civic.  The price also includes wheel alignment, which I'm told >> > would be necessary with the job.  I live in Buffalo, NY.  Does this >> > seem like a fair price?  A quick google search leads me to believe >> > that the quote is high.... >> >> It appears the ball joints on this vehicle are integral with the >> steering knuckle, at least with OEM parts. The price you've been >> quoted is probably from a Honda dealer, and includes new knuckles. >> >> There are aftermarket ball joints that can be pressed into the >> existing knuckle (closer to your $300 guess), but I think you would >> regret that choice in less than two years. Ever had a ball joint >> break on you? >> >> > > > The quote was actually from an independent shop. I failed to ask > exactly what parts would be replaced.

Then you should ask and tell. Otherwise you may mislead others here and receive useless advice.

> What would happen if the shop only replaced the ball joint and not the > knuckle? Are you suggesting that pressing a new ball joint into the > knuckle would weaken the interface and cause it to fail again > prematurely?

That would be the danger, yes. That would be why Honda does not offer separate ball joints for this model. Ball joints are under considerable stress in operation.

See here for more fun information:

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9BE4C613369Ategger@

208.90.168.18:

No idea if "martin lynch" will ever check in on this thread again (I hope he does, if he hasn't got the work done yet), but I just discovered something:

Honda had issued a TSB (06-035) which says that Honda has new ball joints that may be installed into existing steering knuckles on SOME '98-'02 Accords, obviating the need to replace the entire knuckle. The new ball joint part number is 06523-S84-405. The TSB outlines the exact installation procedure, which may be performed without removing the knuckle from the car.

It seems premature ball joint wear is a known issue on these cars. The original ball joint has a different part number from its replacement, suggesting different fit, product improvement, or both.

Reply to
Tegger

Much obliged for this message Tegger! I was actually going to call the mechanic tommorow, so I'm glad I checked on here tonight first.

I actually have a Civic, not Accord, but a search shows a TSB for the

2001-2005 Civic exists as well (04-079). Further google search shows that some District Managers MIGHT repair the ball joint free, even out of warranty. I'm not crossing my fingers but it's worth a shot...

Reply to
martin lynch

martin lynch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

And so it does. My mistake, sorry. Same problem, same solution, different details.

The new Civic ball joint part number is 51220-S5A-305.

This is the sort of situation where it really helps to have a good relationship with your "stealer$hip". I'm glad I maintain that with my local dealer, who have been very good to me over these many years.

Reply to
Tegger