Re: fair price for ball joint replacement?

<proper crossposting added to alt.autos.honda>
Then you should ask and tell. Otherwise you may mislead others here and receive useless advice.

That would be the danger, yes. That would be why Honda does not offer separate ball joints for this model. Ball joints are under considerable stress in operation.
See here for more fun information: <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

No idea if "martin lynch" will ever check in on this thread again (I hope he does, if he hasn't got the work done yet), but I just discovered something:
Honda had issued a TSB (06-035) which says that Honda has new ball joints that may be installed into existing steering knuckles on SOME '98-'02 Accords, obviating the need to replace the entire knuckle. The new ball joint part number is 06523-S84-405. The TSB outlines the exact installation procedure, which may be performed without removing the knuckle from the car.
It seems premature ball joint wear is a known issue on these cars. The original ball joint has a different part number from its replacement, suggesting different fit, product improvement, or both.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Much obliged for this message Tegger! I was actually going to call the mechanic tommorow, so I'm glad I checked on here tonight first.
I actually have a Civic, not Accord, but a search shows a TSB for the 2001-2005 Civic exists as well (04-079). Further google search shows that some District Managers MIGHT repair the ball joint free, even out of warranty. I'm not crossing my fingers but it's worth a shot...

And so it does. My mistake, sorry. Same problem, same solution, different details.
The new Civic ball joint part number is 51220-S5A-305.

This is the sort of situation where it really helps to have a good relationship with your "stealer$hip". I'm glad I maintain that with my local dealer, who have been very good to me over these many years.