Re: Figuring Out How Much a Hybrid, Diesel, or Small Car Will Save Per Year

I hope you figured out that 5k would have purchased ALL of the fuel one would use in a Corolla for the first three of four years? Have you also added into you calculations the $4,000 cost of replacing the batteries at some point?

mike

My '04 Prius cost about $5,000 more than a comparable non-hybrid, so I > factored in the loss of income from that money differential (we pay cash > and keep cars until they're not economical to fix). Also, there are > differences in maintenance. For example, my Prius may never need a brake > job... > > And there's one more savings: time. In my driving environment, I estimate > that my HOV-lane access is worth 2.2 hours per month - and time is money. > Those stickers aren't available any longer, but mine are good till 2011 > and I can guarantee that I'll keep this car at least that long. > > A great car! > > > javawizard wrote: >> There's a calculator at
in which you can enter the >> estimated mileage (or kilometerage) you drive per year, the mileage >> your current car is getting, the mileage a proposed new car will get, >> and it will show you how much money you can save. If you already have >> a fuel-efficient car, you can have fun running as-ifs and after-the- >> fact comparisons. >> Take care, >> - Jeff - >>
Reply to
Mike Hunter