Re: Figuring Out How Much a Hybrid, Diesel, or Small Car Will Save Per Year

Visit the area in Canada around the battery manufacturing plant, and you'll see an ecological cost. Serious carnage. Then, consider that the battery materials are shipped to Canada for manufacture, then back to Japan to be put in the cars, then the cars are shipped around the world. Plenty of carbon costs there.
The Prius is only affordable in the US because of the credit given by the government to own one. And it's gas mileage is no better than that of a 90's era CRX, which also had a significant fun factor to it.
I think the hybrid idea is a good one, but it still has quite a way to go before it is really environmentally friendly.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

You can be pretty dirty making lead acid batteries as well. And many parts get shipped around in a complex global assembly process. I don't see how the batteries are any different from a radio.